Very discouraged - wax not holding FO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden

Reaction score
Learning to make votives - I def reached the proper temps (used a new thermometer this most recent time) and also stirred sufficiently. This time I used some dye. I scented at 5% instead of 6%. The wax is supposedly IGI 4625 and supposed to hold 6% FO load, Seems the addition of dye made even more FO leach out, and I used less.

I used 8oz of wax and about a 1/3 of a dye chip. (dye came form Hobby Lobby) - I am very discouraged as there is no explanation why the wax will not hold the FO. Unless it is not what it was stated to be - I purchased it off ebay from a 'reputable' seller. I just reached out to them about this.

My 1st attempt, I am also sure I did things properly (see my previous post about oily residue) and some of the FO leached out. But with the dye, it was much worse. The FO here is Lemon & Lavender from The Candlemakers Store. I guess I either to try a different wax or add vybar to make this wax work. Not a great way to start out 😔

Attachments

• IMG_6865.JPG
    IMG_6865.JPG
    847.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6866.JPG
    IMG_6866.JPG
    663.1 KB · Views: 15
well ...on my own I have deduced that wax I received is a straight paraffin and not the 4625 blend I ordered. I have read that 4625 does not mottle but that straight paraffins do - you can see there is mottling here and it's more pronounced now that the candles are cured and clean (oil wiped away) - the previous votives I made with the same wax are also mottled but being undyed, is a bit harder to see. The discouragement I have experienced apparently is not due to doing anything wrong ...but it sucks to get the wrong product.

Attachments

• IMG_4674.JPG
    IMG_4674.JPG
    611.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4675.JPG
    IMG_4675.JPG
    609 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4673.JPG
    IMG_4673.JPG
    573 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, a straight paraffin (such as IGI 1343, which is what this probably is) will only hold about 3% fragrance before it becomes unstable.
Depending on how much more wax you have, try lowering your scent to 3%, It will probably hold better, and in reality it could even scent the room better.

Yeah, a straight paraffin (such as IGI 1343, which is what this probably is) will only hold about 3% fragrance before it becomes unstable.
Depending on how much more wax you have, try lowering your scent to 3%, It will probably hold better, and in reality it could even scent the room better.
Thanks for commenting - the seller I bought from also sells 1237 ...but who knows what they might have lying around, Yes I do have 10lbs of it ( well ...8.5 now, lol) - I'll try a few. Is it your experience that 4625 does not mottle like this? I was told that it can if poured at 159F or higher ...but I will monitor my pour temp closer to see. Thanks again.

Thanks for commenting - the seller I bought from also sells 1237 ...but who knows what they might have lying around, Yes I do have 10lbs of it ( well ...8.5 now, lol) - I'll try a few. Is it your experience that 4625 does not mottle like this? I was told that it can if poured at 159F or higher ...but I will monitor my pour temp closer to see. Thanks again.
It can, I think it depends more on the lot/batch it came out of than the temp though. I've noticed more of the finger-nail affect with 4625 than mottling.

It can, I think it depends more on the lot/batch it came out of than the temp though. I've noticed more of the finger-nail affect with 4625 than mottling.
don't know what the fingernail effect looks like ...based on the pics here, does this look like straight paraffin to you?

Back