Verifying Vendors Oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistle Creek Honey

Reaction score
Given the problems we've seen in this country with adulterated honey and olive oil, does anyone have suggestions on how to make sure the oil you are getting is actually what you paid for? We've got several types of oil$ (meadowfoam, hemp, Avocado...) from different vendors and notice that each has a different texture, smell and they solidify at different temperatures and in different ways.

Aah, the bain of my existence! You need to ask if the oil is RWBD and/or preserved or any combination of any of those. And if so, which ones. Get the fatty acid profile then go find the unrefined profile and compare them. Find out the manufacture date for the batch. If its old (older than its known life) then its preserved and or RWBD and or corrupted.

You can also check the sap values of your oils against the sap of the unrefined, R, and W oils.

Last edited:
Here in Germany you can ask for a safety data sheet were all informations are written in.

Based on some conversations I have had with some suppliers, any food grade oil should be unadulterated, cosmetic grade oils are adulterated. Now, the ones that are adulterated are done so well that the fatty acid profile is indentical! That is how it was explained to me, by more than one person. I understand wanting to be certain that you are getting what you pay for, but even if your oils are not completely pure, it is unlikely you would be able to tell the difference in the finished product. That's why so many people choose cosmetic grade, the finished product is the same and it keeps the costs lower.

I don't know if you have been getting adulterated oils or not, there can be a big difference in oils just based on where they are harvested, how they were processed, how much they were processed, etc. As long as you are buying from a good, reputable supplier that is pretty much all you can do.

soaper's choice is excellent, and if you ever have any questions mike will be happy to answer them (at least I have always found that to be the case).

I have also had very good experiences with and trust the quality of wsp, brambleberry, and nature's garden.

for olive oil, I buy regular (non-virgin, non-pomace) ordinary olive oil at sam's club, and I have heard of others having equally good luck with costco.

Back