Veggie or vegan friendly soap ideas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMack

Reaction score
I’d like to try making a veggie/vegan friendly soap without using palm oil as the hard fat, any help appreciated with suggestions thank you 🙏🏻

It's Eurosoy800 available from LiveMoor :thumbs:. The maximum soy wax i have used in a recipe is 28% but at the moment I am using around 10% and see no difference to the hardness and longevity. @DMack you have to get used to soaping at a higher temperature but after a while it just becomes second nature.

It's Eurosoy800 available from LiveMoor :thumbs:. The maximum soy wax i have used in a recipe is 28% but at the moment I am using around 10% and see no difference to the hardness and longevity. @DMack you have to get used to soaping at a higher temperature but after a while it just becomes second nature.
Thank you, I’ll try at 20% and work from there. I’m loving the experimentation of soap making 😂

I got my beeswax from LiveMoor and saw their soy wax products but everything was listed as candle making so I wasn’t sure if it was cosmetic grade. Thanks for the name ✌🏻

would appreciate any input on this please. My soaps are for personal use, I’m not selling so whilst I don’t want them to be too costly, I’m also not too concerned as I’m not putting price tags on them. I want to make a milder soap for my dry skin type and compare against the lard based one I made to see which I favour most. I think this amount is the smallest I can get away with making whilst still be able to use a stick blender effectively

Recipe Oils, Fats and Waxes
Oil%Grams
Almond Oil, sweet3090
Olive Oil2575
Beeswax2060
Shea Butter2060
Castor Oil515
Total100300
Recipe Totals
Liquid Required 68.9 g
NaOH Weight34.45 g

would appreciate any input on this please. My soaps are for personal use, I’m not selling so whilst I don’t want them to be too costly, I’m also not too concerned as I’m not putting price tags on them. I want to make a milder soap for my dry skin type and compare against the lard based one I made to see which I favour most. I think this amount is the smallest I can get away with making whilst still be able to use a stick blender effectively

Recipe Oils, Fats and Waxes
Oil%Grams
Almond Oil, sweet3090
Olive Oil2575
Beeswax2060
Shea Butter2060
Castor Oil515
Total100300
Recipe Totals
Liquid Required68.9 g
NaOH Weight34.45 g
Hiya, I don't use beeswax (it's not vegan) but I hear that it should be only used at about 3%?

How about:
Coconut Oil 20%
Olive Oil 30%
Shea Butter 20%
Sweet Almond 25%
Castor 5%

Use a 5% superfat

@DMack - I've put three recipes into soapmakingfriend for you so you can see the profiles. Search DMack. I've included RBO for one which is quite a nice soaping oil and it's cheap! Disregard the longevity in the calculator - Olive oil has good longevity after a 3 month cure and it doesn't show in the calculators.

How about:
Coconut Oil 20%
Olive Oil 30%
Shea Butter 20%
Sweet Almond 25%
Castor 5%

Use a 5% superfat

@DMack - I've put three recipes into soapmakingfriend for you so you can see the profiles. Search DMack. I've included RBO for one which is quite a nice soaping oil and it's cheap! Disregard the longevity in the calculator - Olive oil has good longevity after a 3 month cure and it doesn't show in the calculators.
Thank you very much, I’ll go check them out now 😊

+1 on way too much beeswax. You can also make perfectly awesome soap with just oils and butters - this is what all my soaps are. I like to use cocoa (often deodorized), shea, and/or mango with percentages that range from 0-55. I use coconut oil or babassu oil.

I made a soap with beeswax once, don't recall the % but it was nowhere near 20. The soap was just meh in my opinion. Haven't tried using it again. I did add some soy wax once as well - that soap turned out nicely, but the process of making soy wax includes hexane, bleaches...etc - stuff we stay away from in our home and our customers don't want in our products.

Good luck!

There was a bit of noise in Scotland last year about 2 guys who were developing a way to use recycled coffee grounds as an alternative to palm oil but they've gone quiet: Revive - Bringing Waste To Life | Used Coffee Grounds Recycling
It's not that I don't want it to be possible, but even coffee oil doesn't have the fatty acids for that to happen.. although, I guess they're not saying what it's an alternative to palm oil for, so if any oil will do for a particular application, I guess it could work? Maybe?

I want to make a milder soap for my dry skin type and compare against the lard based one I made to see which I favour most.
I also like my lard soaps but I have dry, sensitive, mature skin that loves this (see link). I use it to wash my face AM & PM and the lather is so dreamy creamy that I sometimes lather up for no reason. I use the 85% olive oil, 10% coconut oil, 5% castor variation:

Zany's No Slime Castile
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/

the process of making soy wax includes hexane, bleaches...etc
But couldn't this be said for most of the ground seed oils such as rice bran, sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, rapeseed etc unless you are prepared to pay so much more for cold pressed and organic? As long as the soy wax is passed for cosmetic use it is a safe and cost effective vegan product.

I also like my lard soaps but I have dry, sensitive, mature skin that loves this (see link). I use it to wash my face AM & PM and the lather is so dreamy creamy that I sometimes lather up for no reason. I use the 85% olive oil, 10% coconut oil, 5% castor variation:

Zany's No Slime Castile
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/
Amazing thank you I’m going to try this one too. About the faux sea water....can you use actual sea water? I’m fortunate enough to live on the coast

Back