Veggie fermenters, need advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a new fancy fermentation jar in the mail and I first thing I want to ferment is some radishes.
I'd like to add another veggie or two but am a bit lost on what would go well with radish besides carrots, any suggestions?

Parsnips? Daikon (which is radish obv. but a different kind I think than you're thinking)...also pickled daikon is amazing. I'd personally do as many color radishes as I could get a hold of.

Maybe turnip?

I was planning on daikon but the local store doesn't carry them and the other place I went, they were moldy :(
I ended up buying regular red radishes, thats all we have available.

Decided to go with a medley of stuff, cauliflower, green onions, garlic scapes, asparagus. I forgot carrots but thats ok.
My jar should be here anytime, I already have all the veggies prepped.

I think my second batch will be kimchi, then pickles. I want to have a good stock of healthy snacks.

Well, its here and stuffed full. Its smaller then I expected and there are a couple design flaws but it should work good.
Its really cute but I think I could have found a better deal if I had looked harder.

Attachments

• 20200707_140732.jpg
    20200707_140732.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 8
I'm planning on making some fermented herbs soon. I just have to go to the garden and get to work on harvesting.

How do you use them? Do you keep them in brine or dry them?

It's been interesting to watch the fermentation processes. There are a lot of bubbles happening and the brine had turned pink from the radishes. It's kinda ugly in all honestly🤣

I will probably use a paste fermented method that will create it's own brine.

I've actually only ever fermented cabbage, onion, and carrots before... but I have almost an entire field of dill and chives. There is a Chinese leek paste that is basically crushed up leeks and salt that is fermented for a time, and I really like that, so I am going to try to replicate that type of condiment with these other herbs. I'm actually not sure if it will be any good or not, but I love dill, chives, and I might even try cilantro.
Theoretically, it should be good to use to flavor dishes and to use as a condiment with rice.

That does sound good. Since you have so much dill, there is a veggie dip I really like. Take equal parts chive, dill and parsley, chop fine and mix with some mayo.
I use roughly a handful of each to 2 cups of mayo but you can use as little or as much as you like, I like a bit more dill in mine. Let it rest for a day before eating to combine flavors.

Its especially good on kohlrabi and carrots. When I was a kid I would eat it by the spoon and I'm not a mayo fan.

Back