Vegemite

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I thought I'd start this thread instead of clogging up the Word Association game in response to this post by Relle in regards to Vegemite.

I think I'm going to bite the proverbial bullet and try some, since according to the website of my local World Market, which is about 15 minutes away from my house, it's an item that they keep in stock on the shelf. I hope they don't sell out before I'm able to make a trip over there!

Anyway....in the post that I linked to above, Relle was responding to some squeamish comments in regards to Vegemite by stating that it's actually lovely and that there's a proper way to eat it (i.e., not spreading it on like peanut butter). Curious me who has never, ever tried Vegemite googled "How to eat Vegemite" and a clip of Hugh Jackman showing Jimmy Fallon on The Tonight Show how to properly eat it popped up. Hugh actually brought a toaster onstage at The Tonight Show along with bread & butter and Vegemite and showed skeptical Jimmy how it was properly done, and Jimmy and everyone else on stage who tried it properly made by Hugh Jackman actually ended up liking it.

It sounds like it would be lovely mixed in with mashed avocado and then spread on a bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich in place of the usual mayonnaise. It also sounds like it would lend a great umami boost to homemade soup stock and gravies.

I know we have a lot of Aussies here on board, so how do y'all enjoy your Vegemite?

IrishLass :)

Edited to add:

YAY! Vegemite! I love it with lashings of butter on my toast. And I love Hugh Jackman too :p
Yes - it can indeed be a booster for homemade gravies and casseroles, but you don't need much. My mum used to make cheese and vegemite or lettuce and vegemite sandwiches for me to take to school when I was a kid ( I got a bit sick of them everyday actually).
Be aware that the British vegemite is not as nice - it has a 'runny honey' type consistency and it's not as black - more a brownish colour.
My best tip for eating it ( but this is very much my way and others turn their noses up at it) is to let the toast cool slightly before putting your butter on. Don't let the butter melt into the toast, but leave it in little clumps on the surface. Dot your vegemite sparingly on top of the butter. Nom nom.

Last edited:
I thought I'd start this thread instead of clogging up the Word Association game in response to this post by Relle in regards to Vegemite.

It sounds like it would be lovely mixed in with mashed avocado and then spread on a bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich in place of the usual mayonnaise. It also sounds like it would lend a great umami boost to homemade soup stock and gravies.

Mmmmmmmm I like the sound of the blt with a slithering of Marmite!

And how dare @KiwiMoose say that Marmite is not as nice as Vegemite: some ghastly antipodean copy of a grand British tradition. Much like other British traditions, copied down under and then proclaimed to be better than the original. Take rugby, for example, erh, no, let's not take rugby. What about cricket? No, better not. Anyway as I was saying, Marmite is a grand British tradition that I mention at Spanish dinner parties to provoke shock, horror and nausea amongst the guests. Never fails... I never get invited again.

The best method by far of eating Marmite, or that appalling goo called Vegemite, is on a very generously buttered toasted crumpet. By generous, I mean generous, like profligate. However, you must apply a very fine coating of Marmite (or its sad, sorry southern imitation) and eat immediately, letting the butter geyser its way out of the holes in the crumpet. The secret is in fine, apply too much and the flavour is overpowering.

Other ways to consume Marmite include heavily buttered toast, heavily buttered toasted muffins, heavily buttered toasted anything, really.

And, if you really have absolutely no other alternative, you can use Vegemite, but, well, there's just no knowing what went into it, is there? Baby kangaroo tallow, emu grease, the mind simply boggles...

YES KiwiMoose I sooooooo agree, colder is better. I used to eat Marmite but after 12yr in Aussie I am now very much a Vegemite fan

You see what I mean? Would you really trust a country whose inhabitants actually prefer to eat lukewarm toast???

Last edited by a moderator:
YAY! Vegemite! I love it with lashings of butter on my toast. And I love Hugh Jackman too :p
Yes - it can indeed be a booster for homemade gravies and casseroles, but you don't need much. My mum used to make cheese and vegemite or lettuce and vegemite sandwiches for me to take to school when I was a kid ( I got a bit sick of them everyday actually).
Be aware that the British vegemite is not as nice - it has a 'runny honey' type consistency and it's not as black - more a brownish colour.
My best tip for eating it ( but this is very much my way and others turn their noses up at it) is to let the toast cool slightly before putting your butter on. Don't let the butter melt into the toast, but leave it in little clumps on the surface. Dot your vegemite sparingly on top of the butter. Nom nom.
Where's the emoji with drool dripping out if its mouth?

And how dare @KiwiMoose say that Marmite is not as nice as Vegemite: some ghastly antipodean copy of a grand British tradition. Much like other British traditions, copied down under and then proclaimed to be better than the original. Take rugby, for example, erh, no, let's not take rugby. What about cricket? No, better not. Anyway as I was saying, Marmite is a grand British tradition that I mention at Spanish dinner parties to provoke shock, horror and nausea amongst the guests. Never fails... I never get invited again.

The best method by far of eating Marmite, or that appalling goo called Vegemite, is on a very generously buttered toasted crumpet. By generous, I mean generous, like profligate. However, you must apply a very fine coating of Marmite (or its sad, sorry southern imitation) and eat immediately, letting the butter geyser its way out of the holes in the crumpet. The secret is in fine, apply too much and the flavour is overpowering.

Other ways to consume Marmite include heavily buttered toast, heavily buttered toasted muffins, heavily buttered toasted anything, really.

And, if you really have absolutely no other alternative, you can use Vegemite, but, well, there's just no knowing what went into it, is there? Baby kangaroo tallow, emu grease, the mind simply boggles...
I concur with the heavily buttered anything - it's the same with vegemite.

I thought this was going to be someone soaping with vegemite. I was quite excited. :p I wonder if it would bring anything to soap? Salt for one, I guess. Good selling point possibly for homesick Aussies maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is considered to be un-Australian if you don't like Vegemite. ;)

I craved Vegemite during my pregnancy! I love it on some buttered toast just like Hugh Jackman! :)

Sorry, but I put vegemite and marmite in the same category as fish roe, i.e. caviar. I think it is an acquired taste or something that you love because you grew up eating it. I've tried, but I just can't. I'm sure there is something that I eat that others would find appalling.

You see what I mean? Would you really trust a country whose inhabitants actually prefer to eat lukewarm toast???
:lol:

I like Marmite, but have never tried Vegemite. I know there's a rivalry there, but I bet I would like Vegemite too. They are both made of yeast extract. Little disclaimer though, I'm an erstwhile vegan (there are a lot of yeast related items promoted for health reasons, B-12 and the like), married to an ethnic Chinese man...so I'm used to eating foods that some westerners might find strange (lots of fermented/preserved things and such, a lot of strong tastes). I have always had adventurous taste in food, my parents wonder where I got it from!

Does anyone know what Marmite and Vegemite are made up of?

Marmite is made of fine, healthy, yeast extract.

Vegemite is made of koala tallow.

I am in no way biased as to either product, but would you really want to eat something made from those adorable, eucalyptus-leaf-munching marsupials?

Where's the emoji with drool dripping out if its mouth?

I concur with the heavily buttered anything

Me, too!

Does anyone know what Marmite and Vegemite are made up of?

I've been getting quite the webucation about Marmite and Vegemite the past few days. I had no idea there were 2 different Marmites- the original British and the latter day New Zealand version! From what I understand, it is as Megan said- Marmite (both versions) and Vegemite are made of yeast extract...... and they are rich in the vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B9..... although I still haven't been able to nail down with 100% surety whether the B-vitamins are naturally occurring or added.......I've read it both ways on different sites. Hopefully some of our Aussies and Kiwis and Brits will be able to clear up the confusion.

The yeast utilized by both versions of Marmite and Vegemite is the spent brewers yeast discarded from selective beer breweries. First it is autolyzed to break down the yeast cells, then concentrated down and mixed with salt.......then from there each seem to go their own separate ways in terms of whatever else they add to their concoction. I've heard different things added (or not added) like malt extract, vegetable extract, sugar, caramel color, spices, etc...........and possibly koala or baby kangaroo tallow and emu grease according to a source from Spain, but I can't 100% confirm that. :p :D

I'm going to try to make a trip over to my local World Market today. Apparently, they sell both Vegemite and Marmite (the one made in Britain).

I've never tried it but I wouldn't say no if you gave it to me slathered on Hugh Jackman, butter or no butter bwahahaha

Seriously though, I'm also adventurous. If I can eat mangrove woodworms (delicacy down south) and roasted roaches (NOT the stuff from the sewer, please) and candy apples rolled in some type of maggot looking thing (alive!) I'm sure I can take vegemite.

Latest posts

Back