Vegemite

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post-imperial whining and moaning aside, I've heard that both spreads are made with yeast extract with added B-vitamin complex, although brewer's yeast is a naturally occurring source of the whole gamut of B vitamins, so I can't see why adding anything is necessary.

Vegemite is darker and thicker, and nicer according to those who've tried both (I only grew up on Marmite, so...)

The truth is it's been so long since I ate any Marmite that I've almost forgottent what it tastes like. In Spain, Marmite is viewed as something equivalent to eating burnt rubber: nasty and ultimately useless. I can see their point. After 30 years of eating jamon serrano, octopus, king prawns, paella, roast lamb and other delicacies, Marmite strikes me as pretty poor fare, can't say I miss anything else classified as part of the great British diet, either...

Having said all that, I still harbour suspicions that koalas have been culled to give Vegemite more "substance"

And if Hugh Jackman is needed to sell something, you can bet that whatever he's advertising just has to be a bit dodgy...

It sounds like it would be lovely mixed in with mashed avocado and then spread on a bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwich in place of the usual mayonnaise.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT do the above.
Toast - then butter hot toast, put on small amount of vegemite or a sanger (sandwich) - butter, vegemite, thinly sliced cheese.
My mother use to add it to gravy for colour and flavour. Gravy - drippings from the cooked meat, throw in some flour cook stirring with a fork, add some vegemite then water, stir until done.
Vita wheat biscuits
shopping

Spread with butter then vegemite, put another biscuit on top, then squeeze. The vege/butter squeeze out the holes, then you lick it off.
You can't do this anymore they closed up the holes in 2016 :(.
Pommies eat Marmite and if you have eaten marmite you probably won't eat vegemite because you'll still be trying to get the taste of marmite off your tongue.:p See, it's still there.

Last edited:
The etymology isn't that clear, but POME isn't accepted as an origin. The version given by St. Wikipedia is different.

When I lived in Turkey, a lot of Aussies and Kiwis passed through where I was based and one of them, a brilliant girl from Melbourne, often called me a pom. And my youngest sister is a definite pom, she emigrated years ago and now lives in Sydney.

We have a friend here - my oldest sister's best mate and her name, as far as we are concerned is Pommie. My partner mentioned her the other day and said "Leigh told me that blah blah....". I said who's Leigh? he said "Pommie!" LOL - we never call her Leigh.

Oh and @Relle - I LOVE it when the butter and vegemite squishes through the holes in my cracker. Snax (orRitz for the Americans) are also yummy with butter and vegemite.

Yay.....I finally made it to my local World Market and bought me some Vegemite and (British) Marmite! When I got back home the first thing I did was unscrew the lids and smell them. The Vegemite smelled somewhat like a savory bullion would smell like, while the Marmite, interestingly enough, smelled almost a bit like dark chocolate with a salty/sweet, almost caramel-like note to it, which I was not expecting.....and which made me look the jar over just to make sure I didn't accidentally buy a specialty flavored Marmite or something, lol, but all was in good order- it was the proper British Marmite.

Next, I popped a slice of bread in my toaster (Sorry Mr. Jackman....no fluffy white bread- I only keep whole wheat bread in the house), slathered the resulting toast with room temp butter which melted immediately on contact (just the way I like it), cut the toast in half, then thinly scraped about a pea-sized bit of Vegemite on one half and did the same with the Marmite on the other half.

I decided to try the Vegemite half first............. Verdict? Well, goodness me- I actually found it to be quite lovely and not at all deserving of all the nasty things spoken of it......at least to my taste buds anyway! lol It added a very nice, pleasant savory/saltiness and a somewhat malty/yeasty flavor to the buttered toast, making it taste like it was made from a quality slice of hearty, artisan bread. Quite yummy!

Encouraged, I then tried the Marmite half......Verdict? Wow, I was not expecting such a marked difference in the taste profile, but it was like night and day to my tongue! What I mean is that while the Vegemite came across to me as 100% savory/salty, the Marmite came across as sweet/salty. I was hoping it also might taste as chocolaty as it smelled to my nose in the jar , but alas, it did not (heavy sigh). Once my buds got past the sweet factor, I found that it tasted just as salty/malty/yeasty as the Vegemite.

Lastly, I daringly spooned out about a 1/4 pea-size of each and tasted each of them naked on their own. Yikes! When eaten that way, I completely understand why so many use negative terms like 'nasty', 'vile', and 'disgusting' to describe them! But just like the fish sauce I was so squeamish to use in my pho broth until I actually tried it and liked my broth better with it, if you use it in the way it was designed to be used, i.e. sparingly, it's some pretty awesome stuff.

All in all, my bottom-line opinion is that I find that they taste very much like each other, only one is savory and the other is sweet.

So, the question of the day is, 'Do I prefer one over the other?' Yes- definitely! The Aussie's savory Vegemite has won me over!

IrishLass :)

Yay.....I finally made it to my local World Market and bought me some Vegemite and (British) Marmite! When I got back home the first thing I did was unscrew the lids and smell them. The Vegemite smelled somewhat like a savory bullion would smell like, while the Marmite, interestingly enough, smelled almost a bit like dark chocolate with a salty/sweet, almost caramel-like note to it, which I was not expecting.....and which made me look the jar over just to make sure I didn't accidentally buy a specialty flavored Marmite or something, lol, but all was in good order- it was the proper British Marmite.

Next, I popped a slice of bread in my toaster (Sorry Mr. Jackman....no fluffy white bread- I only keep whole wheat bread in the house), slathered the resulting toast with room temp butter which melted immediately on contact (just the way I like it), cut the toast in half, then thinly scraped about a pea-sized bit of Vegemite on one half and did the same with the Marmite on the other half.

I decided to try the Vegemite half first............. Verdict? Well, goodness me- I actually found it to be quite lovely and not at all deserving of all the nasty things spoken of it......at least to my taste buds anyway! lol It added a very nice, pleasant savory/saltiness and a somewhat malty/yeasty flavor to the buttered toast, making it taste like it was made from a quality slice of hearty, artisan bread. Quite yummy!

Encouraged, I then tried the Marmite half......Verdict? Wow, I was not expecting such a marked difference in the taste profile, but it was like night and day to my tongue! What I mean is that while the Vegemite came across to me as 100% savory/salty, the Marmite came across as sweet/salty. I was hoping it also might taste as chocolaty as it smelled to my nose in the jar , but alas, it did not (heavy sigh). Once my buds got past the sweet factor, I found that it tasted just as salty/malty/yeasty as the Vegemite.

Lastly, I daringly spooned out about a 1/4 pea-size of each and tasted each of them naked on their own. Yikes! When eaten that way, I completely understand why so many use negative terms like 'nasty', 'vile', and 'disgusting' to describe them! But just like the fish sauce I was so squeamish to use in my pho broth until I actually tried it and liked my broth better with it, if you use it in the way it was designed to be used, i.e. sparingly, it's some pretty awesome stuff.

All in all, my bottom-line opinion is that I find that they taste very much like each other, only one is savory and the other is sweet.

So, the question of the day is, 'Do I prefer one over the other?' Yes- definitely! The Aussie's savory Vegemite has won me over!

You should do food writing! Excellent analysis.

Yeahhhhh Irishlass, now you have something you like that's different for your toast. Stay away, stay away from that BLTV.

Yeahhhhh Irishlass, now you have something you like that's different for your toast. Stay away, stay away from that BLTV.

I don't know.....I'm still very tempted to do it, Relle..... more so now than ever now that I'm enamored of it! Call me crazy, but I'm even tempted to blasphemously leave the bacon out and make it a VLT!

I don't know.....I'm still very tempted to do it, Relle..... more so now than ever now that I'm enamored of it! Call me crazy, but I'm even tempted to blasphemously leave the bacon out and make it a VLT!

Mum used to make me cheese, lettuce and vegemite sandwiches as a kid, so this could work. Just remember - always with lashings of butter.

shopping

Spread with butter then vegemite, put another biscuit on top, then squeeze. The vege/butter squeeze out the holes, then you lick it off.
You can't do this anymore they closed up the holes in 2016 :(.
Pommies eat Marmite and if you have eaten marmite you probably won't eat vegemite because you'll still be trying to get the taste of marmite off your tongue.:p See, it's still there.

Yes - vegemite worms, I remember fondly. :nodding:

Where's the emoji with drool dripping out if its mouth?

I concur with the heavily buttered anything - it's the same with vegemite.

I thought this was going to be someone soaping with vegemite. I was quite excited. :p I wonder if it would bring anything to soap? Salt for one, I guess. Good selling point possibly for homesick Aussies maybe?
I just made a Chaga, Sea Moss, Bladderwrack, and Sea Buckthorn bar with Molasses and Vegemite. It’s curing now and I can tell it will be wonderful.

Latest posts

Back