Vegan Recipe Tweak .

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t use pomace oil as they use chemicals to extract the oil.
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

Thanks to my wonderful mentors early on, I've been using Pomace OO since 2004 because it is the most acidic and least expensive grade of olive oil. It makes wonderful Castile Soap good for babies and cancer patients undergoing chemo and pulls its weight in the Basic Trinity of Oils that is the most often seen formula in handmade soaps that you buy online like Dr. Squatch, Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Castile, and Biggs & Featherbelle among others.

It is my understanding that the Hexane, that is used to extract the last bits of oil in the olives in the 4th and final phase of extraction, is minimal. It is then refined. IMO and IME it is the best OO for use in Soap.

Back in the day when i was making soap for wholesale customers, I was nervous when I bought a 35-lb "Cubetainer" of Pomace. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to use it up in 12 months (shelf life). After 6 months, it was used up! I then bought another Cubetainer and have never looked back.

Some say the Pomace accelerates trace. I've never found that to be true. On the contrary, it takes "forever" (45 minutes?) for OO to trace when making my dupe of Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Castile.

Another reason I don't use it because it accelerates like crazy on me, and it isn't easy to find where I live. Shipping costs make it equal to or more expensive than regular light OO from Costco.
Spot on! The biggest problem is finding a source for pomace locally. (Costco) Kirkland Pure (Grade A) Olive Oil is the best option. I've never seen the regular light OO there. I'll hafta look the next time. I see Walmart also carries Kirkland Pure OO.

TIP: To save on shipping from Soapers Choice, I order 4 oils at a time to spread the same cost.for one oil across 4 oils. ;) :thumbs:

Attachments

• 2¢ Worth.gif
    2¢ Worth.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 0
Ive made this recipe and want to compare to my other base that I have create that have palm . I would like a simple vegan recipe . Looking for tweaks and suggestions that would make my vegan soap recipe better .

Coconut oil - 31.94
Olive oil - 26.43
Sunflower oil - 26.43
Shea butter - 10.79
Castor oil - 4.41

5 percent super fat
Water as percentages of Oil 33%

Also im looking to make recipe cheaper with holding top quality of Veganes Rezept. If there's any ideas please let me know .

I appreciate all the help I've gotten on this forum . Thanks everyone that has replied on my older post and continues to help my soaping :) !
It's great to hear that you're experimenting with vegan soap recipes and seeking suggestions to improve them! Based on the ingredients and percentages you've provided, here's a simple vegan soap recipe you can try:

Ingredients:

• Coconut oil: 30%
  • Olive oil: 25%
  • Sunflower oil: 25%
  • Shea butter: 10%
  • Castor oil: 5%
  • Water: 33% of the total oil weight
Instructions:

1. Weigh the oils and shea butter in separate heat-safe containers.
  2. Heat the oils and shea butter gently until they are fully melted.
  3. In a separate container, measure the water.
  4. Slowly add lye (sodium hydroxide) to the water, stirring gently until it is fully dissolved. Be sure to follow proper safety precautions when working with lye.
  5. Allow the lye solution and oil mixture to cool to around 100-110°F (38-43°C).
  6. Slowly pour the lye solution into the oils, stirring continuously.
  7. Blend the mixture using a stick blender until it reaches a light trace. Trace refers to the point where the mixture thickens to a custard-like consistency.
  8. Pour the soap batter into a soap mold.
  9. Cover the mold with a piece of cardboard or a towel to insulate it.
  10. Allow the soap to go through the saponification process for 24 to 48 hours.
  11. After the soap has hardened, remove it from the mold and cut it into bars.
  12. Place the bars on a curing rack or tray and allow them to cure for 4-6 weeks. During this time, the soap will harden and its pH levels will stabilize.
To make the recipe more cost-effective while maintaining quality, you could consider the following suggestions:

1. Look for bulk or discounted prices for your ingredients.
  2. Explore local suppliers or farmer's markets for oils and butters, as they may offer competitive prices.
  3. Consider using less expensive oils, such as canola oil or rice bran oil, as substitutes for some of the more costly oils.
  4. Purchase ingredients in larger quantities to take advantage of bulk discounts.
  5. Reduce the amount of shea butter in the recipe or substitute it with a more affordable butter like cocoa butter or mango butter.
Remember to always run your recipe through a lye calculator to ensure the correct amount of lye and water is used based on your specific oil measurements.

I hope these suggestions help you improve your vegan soap recipe and make it more cost-effective. Happy soaping!

Latest posts

Back