Vegan Recipe Tweak .

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive made this recipe and want to compare to my other base that I have create that have palm . I would like a simple vegan recipe . Looking for tweaks and suggestions that would make my vegan soap recipe better .

Coconut oil - 31.94
Olive oil - 26.43
Sunflower oil - 26.43
Shea butter - 10.79
Castor oil - 4.41

5 percent super fat
Water as percentages of Oil 33%

Also im looking to make recipe cheaper with holding top quality . If there's any ideas please let me know .

I appreciate all the help I've gotten on this forum . Thanks everyone that has replied on my older post and continues to help my soaping :) !

Last edited:
That recipe would be way too cleansing for me (due to the high CO), but if you like to feel super squeaky clean after a shower, give it a try.

When you see people talking about 33% as a good starting place for CP soap, they are talking lye concentration, and not water as percent of oils. I do strongly recommend switching your lye setting from "water as percent of oils" to "lye concentration." The WAPOO setting was designed for hot process soap, and it will give you inconsistent results as you scale recipes up and down.

Okay sounds good . If I superfat the recipe to 8 percent would that help with the coconut oil ?
Yes, but it's always good to use the least amount of unsaponified oils as you need to get the desired result. Less free oils = less risk of DOS, soap scum, clogged pipes, etc.

For that reason, starting at 5% SF is a good baseline. Start testing the soap every week, and see how the feel changes over the cure, and how you like it.

If it's too drying, I'd lower the CO before I'd raise the SF. But that's me; there's absolutely nothing wrong per se with raising SF a bit to get the desired feel, if you prefer to do it that way. :)

Last edited:
I've mentioned these recipes several times before, just because I feel they are a great starting point: Amanda Aaron's "Basic Body Bar" variations 1, 2, and 3 which she provides for FREE. They are balanced, vegan, palm-free, and consistently work very well. The coconut oil percentage ranges from 30 percent to 38 percent, so many will reject these out of hand. All I can say is try a small batch of whichever appeals to you and see how it feels with your water and your skin. Then you can tweak to your heart's content to arrive at a formula that works for you, your family, and/or your market.

I am 70 years old and have no issues with soaps made using my favorite, the "more moisture" variant (30 percent coconut oil); I often return to this one for testing colors and fragrances, or just when I need a formula that I know never fails and that I enjoy using. I really like that Amanda keeps the lye concentration simple: she uses twice the amount of liquid to lye for most all her formulas, which comes out to the 33 percent lye concentration that AliOop suggests above.

Good luck! 🍀
https://lovinsoap.com/2021/06/basic-cold-process-soap-recipes-to-get-you-started/

I've mentioned these recipes several times before, just because I feel they are a great starting point: Amanda Aaron's "Basic Body Bar" variations 1, 2, and 3 which she provides for FREE. They are balanced, vegan, palm-free, and consistently work very well. The coconut oil percentage ranges from 30 percent to 38 percent, so many will reject these out of hand. All I can say is try a small batch of whichever appeals to you and see how it feels with your water and your skin. Then you can tweak to your heart's content to arrive at a formula that works for you, your family, and/or your market.

I am 70 years old and have no issues with soaps made using my favorite, the "more moisture" variant (30 percent coconut oil); I often return to this one for testing colors and fragrances, or just when I need a formula that I know never fails and that I enjoy using. I really like that Amanda keeps the lye concentration simple: she uses twice the amount of liquid to lye for most all her formulas, which comes out to the 33 percent lye concentration that AliOop suggests above.

Good luck! 🍀
https://lovinsoap.com/2021/06/basic-cold-process-soap-recipes-to-get-you-started/
I’ve tried my recipe . And to be honest it amazing . I just wanted input . And to have more information before giving it out to friends and family . I appreciate your post . Thank you for your time .

I would tweak it thus:

Coconut oil - 25%
Olive oil - 30%
Sunflower oil - 20%
Shea butter - 20%
Castor oil - 5%

5 percent super fat
Lye concentration 33%

If you want to make it cheaper I would look at which are your most expensive oils - I'm guessing Shea Butter, Olive Oil and Sunflower oil ( if you are buying the high oleic variety) and replace them in part or whole with cheaper oils. For me in NZ that is: Rice Bran Oil (the cheapest oil ever here at $NZ4 = $CA3.39 per litre), and Soy Wax.

I personally don't like my superfat too high these days, because I am trying to reduce oleic slime and jelly/sludge edges on my soap when sitting at the basin. This can also be helped by using less OO and sunflower oil, or by using additives such as salt. My happy place is maximum 20% OO ( i do not use sunflower at all), and 2 - 3 % superfat only. I try to choose liquid oils that are high in Palmitic such as RBO and Avocado oil to offset the high stearic found in soy wax.

Yes, but it's always good to use the least amount of unsaponified oils as you need to get the desired result. Less free oils = less risk of DOS, soap scum, clogged pipes, etc.

For that reason, starting at 5% SF is a good baseline. Start testing the soap every week, and see how the feel changes over the cure, and how you like it.

If it's too drying, I'd lower the CO before I'd raise the SF. But that's me; there's nothing wrong per se with raising SF to get the feel you want.

If it's too drying, I'd lower the CO before I'd raise the SF. But that's me; there's nothing wrong per se with raising SF to get the feel you want.
Okay sounds good . Thank you for your time . If you have anything else that come to mind please let me know .
I would tweak it thus:

Coconut oil - 25%
Olive oil - 30%
Sunflower oil - 20%
Shea butter - 20%
Castor oil - 5%

5 percent super fat
Lye concentration 33%

If you want to make it cheaper I would look at which are your most expensive oils - I'm guessing Shea Butter, Olive Oil and Sunflower oil ( if you are buying the high oleic variety) and replace them in part or whole with cheaper oils. For me in NZ that is: Rice Bran Oil (the cheapest oil ever here at $NZ4 = $CA3.39 per litre), and Soy Wax.

I personally don't like my superfat too high these days, because I am trying to reduce oleic slime and jelly/sludge edges on my soap when sitting at the basin. This can also be helped by using less OO and sunflower oil, or by using additives such as salt. My happy place is maximum 20% OO ( i do not use sunflower at all), and 2 - 3 % superfat only. I try to choose liquid oils that are high in Palmitic such as RBO and Avocado oil to offset the high stearic found in soy wax.
Awesome . Im going to make it right now . In 5 weeks time I will give you an update . I love Rocky Mountain soap company soaps . I pretty sure they have more coconut oil in it because coconut oil comes first on there packaging . I just want the same feel .

I love Rocky Mountain soap company soaps . I pretty sure they have more coconut oil in it because coconut oil comes first on there packaging . I just want the same feel .
That's a great starting point, and good detective work on your part! I'm sure that with some testing and comparing you will be able to get close. :)

Okay sounds good . Thank you for your time . If you have anything else that come to mind please let me know .

Awesome . Im going to make it right now . In 5 weeks time I will give you an update . I love Rocky Mountain soap company soaps . I pretty sure they have more coconut oil in it because coconut oil comes first on there packaging . I just want the same feel .
Im dying to make a pine tar soap. I want it to be vegan too . Could you help me out incorporating pine tar in that recipe . My brother wants pine tar and so do I . ahaha

Im dying to make a pine tar soap. I want it to be vegan too . Could you help me out incorporating pine tar in that recipe . My brother wants pine tar and so do I . ahaha

Just wondering if anyone has any input on this recipe . Came up with it this morning . Want to make it . Just wondering what everyone thinks ?

Coconut oil 76 - 31.02 %
Olive oil promace - 30.05%
shea butter - 21.90%
sunflower oil - 17.03 %

5 precent superfat

33 percent lye concertation .

or

Coconut Oil 76 - 30%
Olive oil promace - 29 %
Shea butter - 20%
sunflower oil - 16%
castor oil - 5%

5 precent superfat

33 percent lye concertation .

I've mentioned these recipes several times before, just because I feel they are a great starting point: Amanda Aaron's "Basic Body Bar" variations 1, 2, and 3 which she provides for FREE. They are balanced, vegan, palm-free, and consistently work very well.
:thumbs: I couldn't agree more! Amanda and Benjamin Aaron of Lovin' Soap Studio are a great inexpensive source for Newbies to learn the basics of soapmaking.
The coconut oil percentage ranges from 30 percent to 38 percent, so many will reject these out of hand.
So true. It's a shame that some Newbies are put off by the high CO number without ever having tried it. When you compare it to the rest of the recipe, the other oils are high conditioning for the most part which should result in their skin feeling nice and clean without being drying... or too "oily" as some are known to say.

Base Oils & Scent
Coconut Oil – 306 grams (34%)
Olive Oil – 306 grams (34%)
Avocado Oil – 72 grams (8%)
Rice Bran Oil – 126 grams (14%)
Shea Butter – 90 grams (10%)

Fragrance – 30 grams

I also like that she gives the recipe in grams for more accuracy and in whole numbers instead of a fraction of an oz. like this one from Post #1

Coconut oil - 31.94 >>> 32
Olive oil - 26.43 >>> 26
Sunflower oil - 26.43 >>> 26
Shea butter - 10.79 >>> 11
Castor oil - 4.41 >>> 4

If it were me, I'd round those numbers up or down just to make it easier to measure and weigh. ;) :thumbs:

Is there a good substitute from rice bran oil . I don’t have any ?

:thumbs: I couldn't agree more! Amanda and Benjamin Aaron of Lovin' Soap Studio are a great inexpensive source for Newbies to learn the basics of soapmaking.

So true. It's a shame that some Newbies are put off by the high CO number without ever having tried it. When you compare it to the rest of the recipe, the other oils are high conditioning for the most part which should result in their skin feeling nice and clean without being drying... or too "oily" as some are known to say.

Base Oils & Scent

Fragrance – 30 grams

I also like that she gives the recipe in grams for more accuracy and in whole numbers instead of a fraction of an oz. like this one from Post #1

Coconut oil - 31.94 >>> 32
Olive oil - 26.43 >>> 26
Sunflower oil - 26.43 >>> 26
Shea butter - 10.79 >>> 11
Castor oil - 4.41 >>> 4

If it were me, I'd round those numbers up or down just to make it easier to measure and weigh. ;) :thumbs:

Im going to check them out . I appreciate the information . Yes I am a newbie trying to find my way . It hard to get a grasp on everything. Im trying to get the understanding behind everything .

Is there a good substitute from rice bran oil .
I would skip the RBO and up the Olive Oil.
It hard to get a grasp on everything. Im trying to get the understanding behind everything .
"Everything" will make a lot more sense once you start soaping. Experience really is the best teacher. Feed your addiction by making as many 450g /16 oz batches as you can, as often as you can, tweaking just one thing each time until you achieve the perfect soap for you. It's like buying a car... we all have different preferences we like and that's what we go with. 😁

I would skip the RBO and up the Olive Oil.

"Everything" will make a lot more sense once you start soaping. Experience really is the best teacher. Feed your addiction by making as many 450g /16 oz batches as you can, as often as you can, tweaking just one thing each time until you achieve the perfect soap for you. It's like buying a car... we all have different preferences we like and that's what we go with. 😁
I’ve made so many soaps . But the understanding of making my own formulas now is where I’m lacking . The Iauric, myrisitic , palmitic , oleic, linoleic . Hope i spelt them right lol . And what oils do the same things so my soaps make sense . I need to print a few charts im thinking

Back