Vegan Palm Free Soap

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Dean, Dec 20, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Dec 29, 2018 #41

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Ooh - can you send me some links PJ? They will probably ship to NZ from there.

I don't mind GM soy wax for soap, but I wouldn't want to eat GM foods. Having said that - my son was born with a dairy allergy and has (since weaning) only ever had soy milk. He won't drink rice milk, oat milk or coconut milk because he doesn't like the taste - and he cannot drink any nut milks because he is allergic to nuts too. SO there you go - I won't have it but I will let my 11 year old have it. A hypocrite in every corner ;)

Edit to add: Just checked the two brands of soy milk that we tend to buy and both are certified NON-GMO :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    SaltedFig and emi like this.
  2. Dec 29, 2018 #42

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

emi likes this.
  3. Dec 29, 2018 #43

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

No they were not, and I did not mean for them to be so large, I was just to lazy to work at resizing them. Sorry Just figured it time to shut my mouth. I have made soap with soy wax and have nothing against it, I just still like palm better. I still have a box of soy wax I may use up in soap. Thankyou for the offer. Will pm you

emi likes this.
  4. Dec 29, 2018 #44

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

edited out ... I misunderstood because of lack of punctuation on their part

Also you said "I don’t necessarily want to avoid GMO" but you want to find a product for the people concerned about GMO . o_O Am I missing something here ?

Use Tallow, Lard Or any other Meat fat if you are looking for a palm free soap.
    For Vegan/Vegetarian use Olive Oil and other plant based oils.
    Kinda simple really

5. Dec 29, 2018 #45

emi

emi

emi

I love soy wax! I remember when I discovered it and was so happy to find it. It doesn't have much (or any?) conditioning properties so I use other oils and butters to up those qualities. And yes the GMO issue is another layer to deal with. Someone told me back when I first discovered soywax (on this forum i believe) that Akosoy was non-GMO so that's the bag I have now, but I'm still not sure if that's a company or type of soy or what. And after knowing that 98% of soy is GM I'm doubtful that was true. And these numbers that show up like 415, 444. Some seem to have certain additives geared for candle making purposes. I think 415 is the additive-free one but still not totally sure about it all. im all for trying other oils/butters/waxes that can help sub palm but cocoa butter and soywax seem to be the only ones I've found so far and I still dont think they can just be subbed 1:1 just based on acid content, but I don't know. I should try to do a side to side test (but that would involve buying palm which would kinda defeat the whole purpose! ) Plus cocoa is not cheap. I don't sell and just make for personal use and friends so it's not a big deal for me to buy a couple pounds of cocoa but I know that's not the case for sellers buying huge tubs.

Dean likes this.
  6. Dec 29, 2018 #46

emi

emi

emi

I don't think anyone is claiming palm soap to not be vegan. That's why you'll see reference to "vegan palm-free".

And maybe the part you were missing is that some people are sellers who are wanting to make soaps to provide for their customers specific needs and wants even if they personally don't care for those qualities themselves. Just like how many soap sellers make animal fat soaps but also have a vegan bar for customers who want them.

7. Dec 29, 2018 #47

Anna Boyd

Anna Boyd

Anna Boyd

I'm in America and most people do not have much of an idea about palm oil. I don't use it at all. I do use lard in the vast majority of my bars, which is actually really well received here for several reasons. My vegan bars are almost always my 100% olive oil soaps. I make a few with olive, sunflower, castor and cocoa butter. Those can and cannot be vegan depending on the milk I use. Goats milk is huge, but I also use heavy cream, and I use coconut milk for anything specifically vegan. I also live close to some farming communities. There will be differing opinions the closer you get to big cities. The majority of people here are not vegan, some vegetarian, but even those who are not do not believe in wasting the life of an animal by simply killing without full use. Everything is used up, which is one reason why lard bars are more popular.

GeezLouise, Meena, selma and 2 others like this.
  8. Dec 29, 2018 #48

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

My bad, there was lacking punctuation when he said Animal Palm free, instead of Animal Free & Palm free. Like when he wrote "vegan and palm-free recipe" is it Vegan free ? LOL

I guess I was just not thinking today, still not with the way it is worded.
    I do understand, I do sell, been soaping for a long time. I just choose to soap what I want to soap and don't make anything that is special just for one as it will still be an issue for them............ like soaping on the same table that animal fats were on etc.. yup heard a couple of those.

GeezLouise and emi like this.
  9. Dec 29, 2018 #49

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I've only been selling for less than a year and I live in an area that has a lot of vegetarian's/vegans. The market I sell at is in an agricultural/orchard area but caters to the arts community. During the entire season, I had only one person specifically ask if I had any vegan friendly soap and only one (other) person who came back after purchasing a bar and then noticing that it contained lard. Her question wasn't so much about the lard content but more about whether or not the animal fat in the soap would affect her relationship with her tarot cards.

Once I explained to her why I use lard and that the lard has been changed in the soapmaking process, she walked away satisfied, only commenting that she hoped her tarot cards would understand. OOOOOOoookay!

GeezLouise, Meena, Anna Boyd and 4 others like this.
  10. Dec 29, 2018 #50

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

:lol:

11. Dec 29, 2018 #51

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

12. Dec 29, 2018 #52

Dean

Dean

Dean

I use 415 as instructed by Earlene, Queen Mum of SW.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  13. Dec 29, 2018 #53

Dean

Dean

Dean

“Her question wasn't so much about the lard content but more about whether or not the animal fat in the soap would affect her relationship with her tarot cards. ”

Ha!

@Misschief, Thx for sharing.

cmzaha and Misschief like this.
  14. Dec 29, 2018 #54

emi

emi

emi

I know this will get some rolling eyes, and a bit off topic but do you think soywax will sub well for beeswax in lip balm? I've been using this bag of beeswax I've had for years only for lip balms for holiday gifts. But after some reading yet another thing Im trying to add on the list.

15. Dec 29, 2018 #55

Dean

Dean

Dean

Good question. I want to venture into balm too. Just discovered my fav store bought is palm. Im hoping to use SW since I have it on hand. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know.

16. Dec 29, 2018 #56

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

I personally wouldn't, on the basis that anything in lip balm needs to be somewhat edible. As far as I'm concerned, a soy wax built for candles (even if it has no other additives) is not going to be made to a standard necessary for ingestion. Not sure whether there is a food grade soy wax.

There is a synthetic cocoa butter replacement that is used in the food industry, but I think that one is hydrogenated palm. I know there's a bit of work being done with sunflower too (I can get sunflower lecithin, instead of soy or egg based lecithin, as an example). What that tells me is there's food grade hard synthetic fats, not just the soft margarines, available for use in food products.

So there's a bit of choice (that could be used in lip products) if you are looking to use synthetics ;)

17. Dec 30, 2018 #57

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

For lip balm you can get candelilla or sunflower wax as a sub for beeswax.

SaltedFig and emi like this.
  18. Dec 30, 2018 #58

emi

emi

emi

@Dean - I only made lip balm because I realized I had all the ingredients for it from soaping anyway and it's super easy to make! Literally melt and pour... then clean, which is bit of a pain. I got myself a pound bag of organic beeswax back when I started soaping maybe 2-3 years ago for a soap recipe but have since used soywax for such purposes.

@SaltedFig - Oh right! I didn't even think of the edible, food-grade issue. What do you think about using synthetics? Do you think it counters the effort? Environmentally speaking?

19. Dec 30, 2018 #59

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

Referring back to the original post, here is a recipe I like.
    8% Castor Oil
    25% Cocnut Oil
    15% Cocoa Butter
    52% Rice Bran Oil

dibbles likes this.
  20. Dec 30, 2018 #60

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Just checked that Aussie site thanks @penelopejane and they sell the same soy wax that I use, and get get from a NZ supplier - GW415 from Golden Brands USA.

On their site it states: "Our soy waxes contain no GMO material! NO paraffin, NO unnatural additives and are Kosher certified."

So that's good news.

However I'm not sure how accurate that claim is - since I can't find the same claim made on any other GW415 sellers' sites.