Vegan Palm Free Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In australia we have non-GMO soy wax available at most wholesale candle suppliers.
Interesting.

I think, Dean, but I am not sure this applies to everyone, that people who are concerned about not using palm oil would be the type of people who also don't want to use GMO products.
Ooh - can you send me some links PJ? They will probably ship to NZ from there.

I don't mind GM soy wax for soap, but I wouldn't want to eat GM foods. Having said that - my son was born with a dairy allergy and has (since weaning) only ever had soy milk. He won't drink rice milk, oat milk or coconut milk because he doesn't like the taste - and he cannot drink any nut milks because he is allergic to nuts too. SO there you go - I won't have it but I will let my 11 year old have it. A hypocrite in every corner ;)

Edit to add: Just checked the two brands of soy milk that we tend to buy and both are certified NON-GMO :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi Carolyn,

I hope ur enlarged emojis weren’t directed at me as I was responding to Jenn’s post.

Also, I created this thread specifically for those of us that want to share info about vegan palm free soap. If that’s not ur thing, I understand but I don't think its necessary that that the thread be used promote animal and palm products. Perhaps you can create an animal/palm thread for that? If you do, Ill certainly respect the space.

You once generously sent me a bar of your soap to try. I would like to return the favor. Im making a batch of soy wax soap today that will be ready to share after curing. Soy wax is an inexpensive alternative to palm that creates a hard and long-lasting bar. Alternatively, I can send you some soy wax to test. Please msg me ur adrs if u are interested.

Happy new year!
No they were not, and I did not mean for them to be so large, I was just to lazy to work at resizing them. Sorry Just figured it time to shut my mouth. I have made soap with soy wax and have nothing against it, I just still like palm better. I still have a box of soy wax I may use up in soap. Thankyou for the offer. Will pm you

Hey Fig,
I’d just like to help find an animal palm free product for those that are concerned bout GMO.

edited out ... I misunderstood because of lack of punctuation on their part

Also you said "I don’t necessarily want to avoid GMO" but you want to find a product for the people concerned about GMO . o_O Am I missing something here ?

Use Tallow, Lard Or any other Meat fat if you are looking for a palm free soap.
For Vegan/Vegetarian use Olive Oil and other plant based oils.
Kinda simple really

Last edited:
@Dean - If you look for certified organic, then by default you are buying GMO free (100% organic or raw products - manufactured products are a slightly different thing *see below) :)

(When it's certified organic, it is registered with a certification body and has a certification number, which will be clearly displayed on the label of the product. )

Below
https://gmo-awareness.com/2011/05/05/is-organic-always-gmo-free/

I love soy wax! I remember when I discovered it and was so happy to find it. It doesn't have much (or any?) conditioning properties so I use other oils and butters to up those qualities. And yes the GMO issue is another layer to deal with. Someone told me back when I first discovered soywax (on this forum i believe) that Akosoy was non-GMO so that's the bag I have now, but I'm still not sure if that's a company or type of soy or what. And after knowing that 98% of soy is GM I'm doubtful that was true. And these numbers that show up like 415, 444. Some seem to have certain additives geared for candle making purposes. I think 415 is the additive-free one but still not totally sure about it all. im all for trying other oils/butters/waxes that can help sub palm but cocoa butter and soywax seem to be the only ones I've found so far and I still dont think they can just be subbed 1:1 just based on acid content, but I don't know. I should try to do a side to side test (but that would involve buying palm which would kinda defeat the whole purpose! ) Plus cocoa is not cheap. I don't sell and just make for personal use and friends so it's not a big deal for me to buy a couple pounds of cocoa but I know that's not the case for sellers buying huge tubs.

Last edited:
Palm is NOT FROM AN ANIMAL and it IS VEGAN.... just because you think that animals are killed and/or lost their home does NOT change the fact that Palm IS VEGAN.

Also you said "I don’t necessarily want to avoid GMO" but you want to find a product for the people concerned about GMO . o_O Am I missing something here ?

Use Tallow, Lard Or any other Meat fat if you are looking for a palm free soap.
For Vegan/Vegetarian use Olive Oil and other plant based oils.
Kinda simple really

I don't think anyone is claiming palm soap to not be vegan. That's why you'll see reference to "vegan palm-free".

And maybe the part you were missing is that some people are sellers who are wanting to make soaps to provide for their customers specific needs and wants even if they personally don't care for those qualities themselves. Just like how many soap sellers make animal fat soaps but also have a vegan bar for customers who want them.

I don't think anyone is claiming palm soap to not be vegan. That's why you'll see reference to "vegan palm-free".

And maybe the part you were missing is that some people are sellers who are wanting to make soaps to provide for their customers specific needs and wants even if they personally don't care for those qualities themselves. Just like how many soap sellers make animal fat soaps but also have a vegan bar for customers who want them.

My bad, there was lacking punctuation when he said Animal Palm free, instead of Animal Free & Palm free. Like when he wrote "vegan and palm-free recipe" is it Vegan free ? LOL

I guess I was just not thinking today, still not with the way it is worded.
I do understand, I do sell, been soaping for a long time. I just choose to soap what I want to soap and don't make anything that is special just for one as it will still be an issue for them............ like soaping on the same table that animal fats were on etc.. yup heard a couple of those.

I've only been selling for less than a year and I live in an area that has a lot of vegetarian's/vegans. The market I sell at is in an agricultural/orchard area but caters to the arts community. During the entire season, I had only one person specifically ask if I had any vegan friendly soap and only one (other) person who came back after purchasing a bar and then noticing that it contained lard. Her question wasn't so much about the lard content but more about whether or not the animal fat in the soap would affect her relationship with her tarot cards.

Once I explained to her why I use lard and that the lard has been changed in the soapmaking process, she walked away satisfied, only commenting that she hoped her tarot cards would understand. OOOOOOoookay!

I love soy wax! I remember when I discovered it and was so happy to find it. It doesn't have much (or any?) conditioning properties so I use other oils and butters to up those qualities. And yes the GMO issue is another layer to deal with. Someone told me back when I first discovered soywax (on this forum i believe) that Akosoy was non-GMO so that's the bag I have now, but I'm still not sure if that's a company or type of soy or what. And after knowing that 98% of soy is GM I'm doubtful that was true. And these numbers that show up like 415, 444. Some seem to have certain additives geared for candle making purposes. I think 415 is the additive-free one but still not totally sure about it all. im all for trying other oils/butters/waxes that can help sub palm but cocoa butter and soywax seem to be the only ones I've found so far and I still dont think they can just be subbed 1:1 just based on acid content, but I don't know. I should try to do a side to side test (but that would involve buying palm which would kinda defeat the whole purpose! ) Plus cocoa is not cheap. I don't sell and just make for personal use and friends so it's not a big deal for me to buy a couple pounds of cocoa but I know that's not the case for sellers buying huge tubs.

I use 415 as instructed by Earlene, Queen Mum of SW.

“Her question wasn't so much about the lard content but more about whether or not the animal fat in the soap would affect her relationship with her tarot cards. ”

Ha!

@Misschief, Thx for sharing.

I know this will get some rolling eyes, and a bit off topic but do you think soywax will sub well for beeswax in lip balm? I've been using this bag of beeswax I've had for years only for lip balms for holiday gifts. But after some reading yet another thing Im trying to add on the list.

I know this will get some rolling eyes, and a bit off topic but do you think soywax will sub well for beeswax in lip balm? I've been using this bag of beeswax I've had for years only for lip balms for holiday gifts. But after some reading yet another thing Im trying to add on the list.

Good question. I want to venture into balm too. Just discovered my fav store bought is palm. Im hoping to use SW since I have it on hand. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know.

I personally wouldn't, on the basis that anything in lip balm needs to be somewhat edible. As far as I'm concerned, a soy wax built for candles (even if it has no other additives) is not going to be made to a standard necessary for ingestion. Not sure whether there is a food grade soy wax.

There is a synthetic cocoa butter replacement that is used in the food industry, but I think that one is hydrogenated palm. I know there's a bit of work being done with sunflower too (I can get sunflower lecithin, instead of soy or egg based lecithin, as an example). What that tells me is there's food grade hard synthetic fats, not just the soft margarines, available for use in food products.

So there's a bit of choice (that could be used in lip products) if you are looking to use synthetics ;)

@Dean - I only made lip balm because I realized I had all the ingredients for it from soaping anyway and it's super easy to make! Literally melt and pour... then clean, which is bit of a pain. I got myself a pound bag of organic beeswax back when I started soaping maybe 2-3 years ago for a soap recipe but have since used soywax for such purposes.

@SaltedFig - Oh right! I didn't even think of the edible, food-grade issue. What do you think about using synthetics? Do you think it counters the effort? Environmentally speaking?

Referring back to the original post, here is a recipe I like.
8% Castor Oil
25% Cocnut Oil
15% Cocoa Butter
52% Rice Bran Oil

Just checked that Aussie site thanks @penelopejane and they sell the same soy wax that I use, and get get from a NZ supplier - GW415 from Golden Brands USA.

On their site it states: "Our soy waxes contain no GMO material! NO paraffin, NO unnatural additives and are Kosher certified."

So that's good news.

However I'm not sure how accurate that claim is - since I can't find the same claim made on any other GW415 sellers' sites.

Just checked that Aussie site thanks @penelopejane and they sell the same soy wax that I use, and get get from a NZ supplier - GW415 from Golden Brands USA.

On their site it states: "Our soy waxes contain no GMO material! NO paraffin, NO unnatural additives and are Kosher certified."

So that's good news.

However I'm not sure how accurate that claim is - since I can't find the same claim made on any other GW415 sellers' sites.
You can get their MSDS info. I think some have certificates that prove origin. Might be worthwhile checking.

It probably comes from China as they don’t have GMO (although could be Europe).

Latest posts

Back