Vegan Palm Free Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I simply cannot come up with a soap with the qualities I want without using palm or hard butters, such as kokum, illipe, coco butter etc and they are just to expensive to use when selling soap.

Hi Carolyn,

I hope ur enlarged emojis weren’t directed at me as I was responding to Jenn’s post.

Also, I created this thread specifically for those of us that want to share info about vegan palm free soap. If that’s not ur thing, I understand but I don't think its necessary that that the thread be used promote animal and palm products. Perhaps you can create an animal/palm thread for that? If you do, Ill certainly respect the space.

You once generously sent me a bar of your soap to try. I would like to return the favor. Im making a batch of soy wax soap today that will be ready to share after curing. Soy wax is an inexpensive alternative to palm that creates a hard and long-lasting bar. Alternatively, I can send you some soy wax to test. Please msg me ur adrs if u are interested.

Happy new year!

Last edited:
Sustainable palm is really not that sustainable. https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/sustainable-palm-oil-no-not-really/

Interestingly palm oil production doesn't just create green house gasses that causes climate change that is having catostrophic effects on all life forms including humans, destroy habitats, endanger animal species but it also “leads to increased landlessness for poorer villagers and greater inequality between rich and poor; it brings low-paid, insecure jobs with inadequate health and safety provision.”

Check out this video.

As the market changes so will the product change.
I don’t think it will be led by soapers but by soap users.

The best you can do now is perfect your palm free, vegan recipes and wait for the ground swell.
Many Australians now actively look for palm free, vegan soap.
That demand may eventually spread to the US.

Just make sure your soy wax is non-GMO and advertised as such or you will run headlong into another wall of resistance.

As the market changes so will the product change.
I don’t think it will be led by soapers but by soap users.

The best you can do now is perfect your palm free, vegan recipes and wait for the ground swell.
Many Australians now actively look for palm free, vegan soap.
That demand may eventually spread to the US.

Just make sure your soy wax is non-GMO and advertised as such or you will run headlong into another wall of resistance.

I do think Americans will eventually become aware of the palm issue. Were still coming up to speed on single use plastics.
@SaltedFig previously brought GMO soy to our attention. Great to kno non-GMO SW may be avail. Thx Pen!

Last edited:
@Dean - If you look for certified organic, then by default you are buying GMO free (100% organic or raw products - manufactured products are a slightly different thing *see below) :)

(When it's certified organic, it is registered with a certification body and has a certification number, which will be clearly displayed on the label of the product. )

Below
https://gmo-awareness.com/2011/05/05/is-organic-always-gmo-free/

Last edited:
I've added the detail that it is for 100% certified organic (that's when it is GMO free).

I see that you also have certification for GMO free - I'm not familiar with that individual certification, but that looks like that might be useful for you :)

Here it is. That puts the soy wax/GMO issue to rest.

Sorry, but that reseller has used the word organic, however there is no certification number (look for that, it's a way of telling the difference between advertising and certified organic produce).

The manufacturer's website (I think I've given you the link before) is more open about their product (so it's not the manufacturer that is advertising in this way).

That product is NOT organic (actually, now that I have had coffee, you will need to use the GMO certification to get GMO-free soy wax, because the hydrogenation process precludes it from being certified organic ... you could use organic certification for original oils and fats only).

Sorry, but that reseller has used the word organic, however there is no certification number (look for that, it's a way of telling the difference between advertising and certified organic produce).

The manufacturer's website (I think I've given you the link before) is more open about their product (so it's not the manufacturer that is advertising in this way).

That product is NOT organic (actually, now that I have had coffee, you will need to use the GMO certification to get GMO-free soy wax, because the hydrogenation process precludes it from being certified organic ... you could use organic certification for original oils and fats only).

Tricksters! :mad:

I wonder what people are using to make all the organic soy candles on the market.

If somone is aware of certified non-gmo soy wax suppliers, please post site on this thread.

Last edited:
This brand started out with GMO free, and they are an America soy wax producer. Although they've dropped GMO-free out of their mainstream products (their GMO statement says that about 94% of soy grown in America is GM), they might have small run GM-free American soy wax, so maybe you could give them a call?

http://ecosoyabrands.com

Last edited:
There is no organically certified soy wax. I recently saw someone claiming they made organic soy candles and did some research. As I hate people making chai,so that aren’t true. 98% of soy is GMO from the research I did. So like everything else, it’s a personal choice.

There is no organically certified soy wax. I recently saw someone claiming they made organic soy candles and did some research. As I hate people making chai,so that aren’t true. 98% of soy is GMO from the research I did. So like everything else, it’s a personal choice.

Yup - it's not possible to have an organically certified soy wax.

"As I hate people making chai,so that aren’t true."
One coffee is obviously not enough (I don't get it) ... what does this mean?

Your research is pretty close to the numbers that the wax manufacturer (linked above) said, but you've led to an interesting idea ...

@Dean - given that you don't have an aversion to chemical manipulation of oils to make the harder fats, but you want to avoid GM, why not have a look at other oils that are manufactured into fats and waxes (that you might find suitable for your soapmaking)?
(There's a whole hydrogenation industry out there - it's not all soy and GM ;))

Yup - it's not possible to have an organically certified soy wax.

"As I hate people making chai,so that aren’t true."
One coffee is obviously not enough (I don't get it) ... what does this mean?

Your research is pretty close to the numbers that the wax manufacturer (linked above) said, but you've led to an interesting idea ...

@Dean - given that you don't have an aversion to chemical manipulation of oils to make the harder fats, but you want to avoid GM, why not have a look at other oils that are manufactured into fats and waxes (that you might find suitable for your soapmaking)?
(There's a whole hydrogenation industry out there - it's not all soy and GM ;))

Hey Fig,

I don’t necessarily want to avoid GMO. I never really thought about it until you enlightened us about the issue and connected it to Monsanto. I’d just like to help find an animal palm free product for those that are concerned bout GMO.

Last edited:
All "issue" type things aside ... if you are using hydrogenated fats, then it would be interesting to find out what else is available
(there might be something even better than soy, is what my coffee-deficient self was trying to convey ;))

All "issue" type things aside ... if you are using hydrogenated fats, then it would be interesting to find out what else is available
(there might be something even better than soy, is what my coffee-deficient self was trying to convey ;))

Hmm...

In australia we have non-GMO soy wax available at most wholesale candle suppliers.
Interesting.

I think, Dean, but I am not sure this applies to everyone, that people who are concerned about not using palm oil would be the type of people who also don't want to use GMO products.

Latest posts

Back