Veg Based (no animal fats) wording question - opinions pleaz

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsmeroro

Reaction score
I hope that I can convey my question properly!!!

Personally, for me I tend to want to use only veg based oils - without using any animal fats. My though is that I am still not able to "market" my soaps as "Animal by-product free" if I am using emu oil, or goats milk...

Is this correct? How would I word this properly? I know that this is a personal preference - as there are many people out there who want only veg. based products... would "all natural ingredients" be the way to go with this one?

Cheers from CA! roro

You may have a problem with the Emu oil. But I would highly doubt that anything like goats milk would cause a problem. Who hasn't eaten cheese or used milk in a recipe.

All natural is completely different from vegetarian (no fats, meats, dead animal products) which is completely diffrent from vegan (no fats, meats, dead animal produst or by products such as honey, milk, bee's wax, etc) .

Animal fat is (should be) natural.

Milk , honey, etc is (should be) natural.

I will not buy soap with animal products in them. I will buy soap w/ animal by-products in them. I am vegetarian but not vegan.

I look for soaps that are worded like this: 100% vegetable based or all vegeatble soaps, vegetarian friendly, etc.

You can make a 100% vegetable based soap & add fragrance oil or other chemicals so even though it is all vegetable, it is not natural due to the scent, etc.

There is another good thread about this somewhere, I remember it from about a week or 2 ago but I am walking out the door. I will look for it later tonight if I think about it.

I have a funny story to tell about emu oil:

I was at a Christmas show with my shelves full of my all-veggie based soaps. Across from me was a much bigger table with the emu people, selling meat; soaps, creams, and lovely painted ostrich shells, etc.

Their soap was made for them by a commercial enterprise, and they were really pushing the emu oil properties. One woman who had stopped by me first was really fascinated by them.

Then all of a sudden, she literally ran back to my table and asked if I killed any animals to make my soaps. She had asked them: "How do you get the oil out of the emus?" She thought they milked them like cows or something....haha. She bought LOTS of soap from me.

Too funny! Once we bought a bar we were told was all vegetable but as it turned out it contained emu oil. I guess since it was not cow the soap maker just didn't think about it. As soon as the wrapped came off of it my husband gave it a sniff & said "there is a bird in here." He can smell animal products, I would have never been able to tell.

Back