VCS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with Vanilla Color Stabilizer lately and notice that 1. it doesn't mix well with the FO despite stirring for the recommended amount of time (I've heard conflicting things about whether or not to warm the components when mixing) and 2. While the majority of the bar remains light...I will get spots of darkening usually on the top of the loaf which is exposed to air where I have to plane off the top and the discoloration does not return after planing it off. The cut face of the bar stays light.
I use the WSP CP soap VCS at the suggested usage rate, following the timing directions, and I CPOP every loaf of soap to ensure gel.

Is there a way to prevent the browning on the top of the loaf? Is this happening because my VCS and FO aren't mixed well enough?
Is it okay for there to be two phases within the VCS/FO mixture or should it be emulsified and how to better ensure proper emulsification of the mix? Heating?

I use VCS from Bitter Creek. I haven't heard great things about the VCS from WSP. I don't use it that often, TBH, but when I run out I will probably try making the VCS Todd Ziegler and AliOop have come up with.

The first time I used VCS, I mixed it with my FO, which turned my batter bright yellow. This discoloration disappeared from the loaf everywhere except on the top. From that point on, I have added the VCS to the oils and stick blended well before adding the lye. I normally add my FO at emulsion or trace. I've had no issues doing it this way.

Latest posts

Back