vaseline soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The science of soapmaking was not understood years ago.

You perhaps are thinking the knowledge of the science part of soapmaking, amongst the general population? Yes, this may well have been correct for those who just made a crude soap for washing clothes/general soap for the household.

But the companies that made soap comercially, some did make high end soaps following very high quality standards (i.e Vinolia Co. Ltd. as one example)

Ack! 1989 feels like only a couple of years ago to me. lol...

I was in an antique shop a few years ago, saw a toy I had as a kid, and made some kind of disparaging comment about myself becoming an antique since my childhood toys are showing up in the shops.

The owner didn't miss a beat -- she looked up from her book and said, "That just means you're a collectible, my dear." :)

You perhaps are thinking the knowledge of the science part of soapmaking, amongst the general population? Yes, this may well have been correct for those who just made a crude soap for washing clothes/general soap for the household.

But the companies that made soap comercially, some did make high end soaps following very high quality standards (i.e Vinolia Co. Ltd. as one example)

Yes I was thinking only of the "down on the farm soaps." Not thinking at all of commercially made soaps. I read a history of soapmaking where they ran their water through wood ashes until it would float an egg, then it could be used for soapmaking. If it didn't float an egg the soap was soft. It worked for them.

I was in an antique shop a few years ago, saw a toy I had as a kid, and made some kind of disparaging comment about myself becoming an antique since my childhood toys are showing up in the shops.

The owner didn't miss a beat -- she looked up from her book and said, "That just means you're a collectible, my dear." :)

My grade school lunch box (metal) with a butterfly on it was in an antique store I visited. I could almost smell the waxed paper and banana peel!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lent an old book by a friend ...

Ha! Old? Wash your mouth out with ... Oh wait :)

The first page you posted, the font, screamed 70s at me but the rest said 80s-90s. Sorry Happy2018 but I am just plain not gonna accept that as old.

I now see you've had folk following up in that direction already, and 1989 it is.

Happy soaping, with or without Vaseline.

There were at least 10 editions printed (the last one I saw, before I stopped looking, was the 10th printing in 1996). The two main publishers were Camden House (in both Ontario and New York) and Firefly Books (the first, in 1979, was Camden (ON), 1989 was Firefly, 1993 was back to Camden (NY), and 1996 was Firefly again).

To settle which particular edition you have (I don't think they have varied that much in content), look inside at the title (or copyright) page, it should have the publisher and year of publication. Not sure how important this is (unless you collect first edition books or just want the 1979 edition).

A combination that I use (where lanolin or vaseline is used) is beeswax and jojoba. I make a CP honey soap with this combination. Vaseline CP soap would be easier to make, I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Last edited:
Ha! Old? Wash your mouth out with ... Oh wait :)

The first page you posted, the font, screamed 70s at me but the rest said 80s-90s. Sorry Happy2018 but I am just plain not gonna accept that as old.

I now see you've had folk following up in that direction already, and 1989 it is.

Happy soaping, with or without Vaseline.

Not old for sure. My daughter is being trained on her new job by an "old lady" as she calls her who is 61. I told her to be careful how she talks, I'm 63 and I'm not an old lady!................we're all waiting to see how this turns out, maybe I'll put it on my list..............

Latest posts

Back