vaseline soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy2018

Reaction score
I was lent an old book by a friend, and it has a recipe in it.

I did do an internet search and found this old thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/would-vaseline-soap-be-too-soft.39691/

As its at least 5 years old, I thought I'd start a new one.

I though I would share the recipe in the old book, I am going to try it, but won't be able to try it for a least a week.

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

I don't much care for the base recipe and measuring in cups can be dangerous. If you want to use vaseline for SF, just use your regular favorite recipe and use 1/2 tsp PPO of vaseline. I'd set the SF to zero o soapcalc so you don't have regular oil for SF too.

I agree with Obsidian, make sure to run your recipe through a soap calc, never measure in cup, tsp etc. Too much room for error. Also, just use a regular recipe and add the Vaseline. Though why would you want to add petroleum to your product? Worth a try for testing purposes I guess. Let us know how it goes.

The vaseline recipe says one can substitute the same volume of coconut oil for the tallow and veg oil. That will make a big change in the amount of NaOH needed for a nice soap, unless you don't mind one recipe being heavily superfatted and the next not so much.

From the examples given, it looks to me like she's using about 1/4 cup dry NaOH for every 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups of fat, regardless of what the fat is. Ew. That's really awful advice.

And then there's the yield of the recipe in terms of bar soap or liquid soap. I don't know more about this book than what's in the pictures. Is she recommending adding more water to the NaOH soap to make a liquidy soap? Or is she recommending using KOH at the same proportion as NaOH to make a soft soap?

Anyways, I agree with the others -- if you want to make a vaseline soap, don't use her volume-based recipes. Instead, use a weight-based recipe that you like, choose a zero or very low superfat, and include vaseline at 5% or less of the fat weight.

I don't much care for the base recipe and measuring in cups can be dangerous. If you want to use vaseline for SF, just use your regular favorite recipe and use 1/2 tsp PPO of vaseline. I'd set the SF to zero o soapcalc so you don't have regular oil for SF too.

Thank you!
I was a bit concerned when it was by measure and not weight, Definitely the soapcalc!

And then there's the yield of the recipe in terms of bar soap or liquid soap. I don't know more about this book than what's in the pictures. Is she recommending adding more water to the NaOH soap to make a liquidy soap? Or is she recommending using KOH at the same proportion as NaOH to make a soft soap?

What you see in the image is all she is recommending, which is why I came here with the pictures for advise, it was worrying me.

Though why would you want to add petroleum to your product? Worth a try for testing purposes I guess. Let us know how it goes.

I am hoping to do something this weekend, a friend has a really bad case of really dry skin, its so bad that it is literally peeling away in layers and its raw, and he has tried a lot of things for years. And I really don't know if this would work or not, but he is willing to give it a go.

Should be interesting!
And will post images when done!

Vaseline soap has been on my 'to try' list for awhile now, ever since I read about a couple folks on another forum that tried it and loved it. I was thinking of adding a tbsp. or 2 of Vaseline ppo to one of my regular recipes, melting it along with the hard fats, but like so many other things on my soapy list- I just haven't gotten around to it yet. lol

I agree with the others 100%- use a weighted recipe................and let us know how it turns out!

IrishLass :)

One side of my brain is "why" and the other side is "why not". I'm curious too, may have to put this on a list somewhere to consider when I am done with all the other projects I've said I'm going to do. (Snakeskin soap, I'm looking at you.)

I'd like to know how it turns out also. My hands get super dry during the winter months and no matter what I do, my thumbs still crack and occasionally bleed. At work, I handle parts made from urethane so I can't have any heavy lotions or salves on my hands. You've got me wondering if a Vaseline soap will help.

I was lent an old book by a friend, and it has a recipe in it.

I did do an internet search and found this old thread:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/would-vaseline-soap-be-too-soft.39691/

As its at least 5 years old, I thought I'd start a new one.

I though I would share the recipe in the old book, I am going to try it, but won't be able to try it for a least a week.

View attachment 29323

View attachment 29324

View attachment 29325

do you know how old the book is. I find it funny, lot of people ask how to make soap, I always say that its a lot like cooking.

I find Vaseline kind of yucky. But there is a lot to be said for its properties in healing. I had a callous that would not go away, and I wrapped it daily with a band aid with Vaseline. And poof!

Plastic surgeons who perform laser recommend aquaphor for healing scars, and the main ingredient besides lanolin on it is Vaseline. So is also great for burns. Is the main ingredient in commercial lip balm too.

My nana always used it on babies .... so yes, I am curious too. Did you make the soap?

There's nothing wrong with making a soap with lanolin or vaseline, but please be realistic about what it can do. I've used up to 5% lanolin in soap and it does leave a faintly perceptible film on the skin, especially if in a shave soap, but the coating is not nearly the same as what you'd get from using a lotion or other leave-on product.

I work with my hands a lot and get cracks on my thumbs and fingers especially in winter. I find the best solution is using a Microplane callous remover gadget very gently to thin down the callouses on my thumbs and fingers. And when a crack does happen, keep it bandaged with a salve for a few days until the callous softens and the crack heals. Or go on a week's vacation in a warm humid place! ;)

Strange recipe. Makes it look like you can either get liquid or bar soap from doing the same thing!
The science of soapmaking was not understood years ago. I don't think they really knew how it would turn out. If it wasn't what they wanted they just used it in another way. My mother made soap 60 years ago and I don't remember anything about it except it was white and hard. Fortunately for us we have reasonable expectations as to what we'll get.

Latest posts

Back