Vapo-rub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chay

Reaction score
Does anyone make their own vapo-rub or have a recipe they could share?

For chest congestion I like Aloe vera thickened with Xanthan gum and 1% Eucalyptus oil. (If you have them stir in 1% Menthol crystals, but be careful if using on kids.) It's not a perfect solution, but for a stuffy head it does the trick.

I like to use straight-up eucalyptus eo for colds and stuffiness. I just dab some on a tissue and tuck it into my shirt pocket or bra.

but I'll bet if you melt some beeswax, add a little oil of choice, then scent with euc or other similar scents, you'd have a nice rub or salve. I would start with 1 part wax to 1/2 part oil, then adjust until you get the consistency you like.

Thank you for the responses, I'll give it a whirl and see what I can come up with.

A euca-mint lotion bar with menthol crystals would rock!

I got one in a swap a few years back, from Japan no less. I don't know exactly what it had in it, but that would be my guess.

I make a salve that reminds me of Vapo-Rub, although it's a little greasier.
I also use the salve as an ointment for cuts and scrapes.

Take about a 1/4 c. olive oil and into that I add about a tablespoon of beeswax. I put it on the stove until everything is melted. You can add some vitamin E if you want. Pierce and squeeze 2-3 capsules.

Once it's all melted together, I take it off the heat add some Tea Tree and/or Eucalyptus and then pour it into a jar and wait for it to set. The book says to add 80-100 drops of the essential oils of your choice.

I found the recipe in an Aromatherapy book by Valerie Gennari Cooksley.

:D

Latest posts

Back