Vanilla that doesn't darken

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I have read the reviews and past posts about Vanilla FO and CP soap but am still none the wiser. :?
I am looking for a vanilla FO that smells nice but does not darken-I'd really like a white soap if possible. The Brambleberry colour stabiliser does not work for more than 3 months on their vanilla FOs.
Has anyone tried the Nature's garden vanilla while colour stabiliser (different formulation to BB's) with Nature's garden Vanilla bean fragrance oil and discovered if it stops darkening?

I use NG vanilla stabilizer but not with the vanilla bean FO. It only worked on my soap for 2-3 months before it started to darken. There isn't any way to get a nice white bar with a vanilla FO.

Thanks so much Obsidian for your speedy reply.

I was afraid of that. I am really allergic to most fragrances but can use vanilla and rose. Looks like I will have to go fragrance free or stick to rose.

Sweet Cakes has a vanilla FO (Vanilla, fruity) that does not discolor. It's been awhile since I've used it, but I remember it being a sweet vanilla, and I think I blended it with something. It lacks the depth of a really good, complex vanilla, but will add that note and is an option. I love straight-up vanilla, so I've decided to just deal with the discoloring.

Hi Dibbles,

Did the Sweet Cakes Vanilla non-discolour FO remain white after 3 months?
I can't find any reviews of it. Brambleberry has a Vanilla non-discolour which changes back to brown after 2 - 3 months.

Hi there! I have to chime in and say that for a long time I was desperate for a white vanilla soap.. I tried everything. At some point I learned to embrace the brown and now, I think dark soaps are so elegant. I almost prefer them. Vanilla stabilizer is nasty stuff. I don't even want to know what's in there, but one sniff of it will tell you that it cannot be very healthy. (It gives you the feeling of sniffing ammonia) Most of us make soap so that we can control the ingredients and make a better, healthier product and if you are sensitive to fragrances anyway.. I say, embrace the brown!

Good point, TVivian. I will try the sweet cakes white vanilla and if that doesn't work I will embrace the brown rather than go for the stabiliser.

Hi there! I have to chime in and say that for a long time I was desperate for a white vanilla soap.. I tried everything. At some point I learned to embrace the brown and now, I think dark soaps are so elegant. I almost prefer them. Vanilla stabilizer is nasty stuff. I don't even want to know what's in there, but one sniff of it will tell you that it cannot be very healthy. (It gives you the feeling of sniffing ammonia) Most of us make soap so that we can control the ingredients and make a better, healthier product and if you are sensitive to fragrances anyway.. I say, embrace the brown!

Latest posts

Back