Vanilla Test Project

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jules, I have a little MO Vanilla Milk left. I'll include it with the bar I'm sending you so you can check out the oob to bar difference. I want to give it another week or so more to cure. :)

I may have missed it, but how much FO are you putting in each sample? How do you manage to pour, scent and mix that many small samples at a time? Or are you making multiple small batches?

I may have missed it, but how much FO are you putting in each sample? How do you manage to pour, scent and mix that many small samples at a time? Or are you making multiple small batches?

So far I've been making one or two lb (of oil) batches based on how many samples I have on hand. Last weekend I made 2 lb batches, split the batter into 8 cups (I use yogurt cups) and poured in .20 - .25 oz of fo in each cup. It roughly equates to the rate of 1oz per lb and if I find the sample bar really stands out once cured I'll go ahead and make a bigger batch of that fo for future testing.

I did however get a 1 lb mold this week so I might go ahead and just start making 1 lb batch testers from those I have at least an oz of fo for.

Could you tell me your impressions of the daystar vanillas oob? Are there any that you really like?

Could you tell me your impressions of the daystar vanillas oob? Are there any that you really like?

I will give this my best shot given that I have a bit of a cold, but here it goes:

Vanilla Rock N Roll - suppose to be a dupe of Lush American Cream. I have used Lush's conditioner but so far I don't smell anything similar. Oob smells very plastic. Maybe a little perfume like. Not much different after a week cure actually. Not very impressive.

Vanilla Bean Cookies - suppose to be a dupe of BBW Vanilla Bean Noel. I use this lotion daily so I am very familiar with the original scent. Oob this is not bad. All vanillas are really weak oob, this one is no exception. It's only a week cure but so far I don't smell much. I hope it's this cold but it's early still.

Ultimate Vanilla - this is very buttery oob. A hint of vanilla but definitely more butter. So far the cure is really weak and a little fake. Its lost some of the bakery feel. We shall see how she fairs in the next couple weeks.

Vanilla Coconut - this smells very much like coconut oob. Its actually a very pleasant scent oob. So far the cure is weak but nice. Not so much coconut anymore, just kinda sweet.

Vanilla Delicious - oob it falls more in line with the ultimate vanilla. A bit buttery and not very vanilla. Still too weak in the cure so far to tell, but the vanilla is stronger now.

I wish I could be more help but I think it's still early for these. Will keep posted.

(cue energizer bunny) ...Still going....

1468386514681.jpg

From NDA I have: Vanilla, French Vanilla, Tahitian Vanilla, and Vanilla Creme.

What's your opinion of these? I made a batch with NDA's french vanilla last week, and I don't really smell vanilla anymore. It did get really hot (so hot it gelled in the frig) so I'm wondering if that's why. Did any of these hold up well for you?

What's your opinion of these? I made a batch with NDA's french vanilla last week, and I don't really smell vanilla anymore. It did get really hot (so hot it gelled in the frig) so I'm wondering if that's why. Did any of these hold up well for you?

I didn't have much luck with the NDA vanillas. I think their Tahitian Vanilla was the best of the 4 I tried but still faint. Overall, the NDA FOs were nice OOB but didn't do well in cp. The heat may have accelerated the FO morphing process but you would end up in the same place after few weeks even if you soaped cool. The alkaline pH is more the problem with vanilla.

The TCS VBN is the only vanilla that smelled like a decent vanilla to me after cp. Jules may have other suggestions since she tested more vanillas than I did.

Latest posts

Back