Vanilla Test Project

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided to do a vanilla test run to find the best vanilla. I plan on making 1 lb batches then using my individual mold bars to split for about four fragrances a batch. That should give me a good 4 oz bar of each fragrance.

So far I have the following:

CC Deluxe Vanilla
CC Fresh Vanilla
CC Vanilla
CC Vanilla Buttercream
CC Bourbon Vanilla
BB Vanilla Select

Any other favorites out there I should know about to use in comparison? I am open to all vendors (I really need to broaden my horizons) so any recommendations would be appreciated.

I am considering trying these for comparison too:
CC Vanilla Verbena
CC Warm Vanilla Sugar
CC Vanilla Bean Noel

Should I leave these out and stick with more true vanilla notes instead?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Jules, I'd love to see results of blends. I am not a great vanilla fan, but it is a go-too scent, so any input you have on mixes would be really helpful. I have the CC Vanilla Verbena and Vanilla Oak in my WSP wish list, but it might be a while before I have enough stuff saved up to order, I can let you know what I think when I do.

I think it's a great idea Jules! I really learned a lot from the coconut test. Vanilla is so popular, it'd be awesome to know about as many as possible. Vanilla bean Noel seems to be one of the most popular and well liked so a test on that one would be great. I'd be willing to contribute a few vanillas that I've tried if you want more. :)

I think it's a great idea Jules! I really learned a lot from the coconut test. Vanilla is so popular, it'd be awesome to know about as many as possible. Vanilla bean Noel seems to be one of the most popular and well liked so a test on that one would be great. I'd be willing to contribute a few vanillas that I've tried if you want more. :)

Awesome, yes any suggestions would be great! I definitely need to broaden my vendors.

Jules, I'd love to see results of blends. I am not a great vanilla fan, but it is a go-too scent, so any input you have on mixes would be really helpful. I have the CC Vanilla Verbena and Vanilla Oak in my WSP wish list, but it might be a while before I have enough stuff saved up to order, I can let you know what I think when I do.

Thanks not_ally! I actually just ordered both of those yesterday so I will incorporate them into my testing.

Can't wait to see this one, vanilla always smells too sweet for me in the candles and soaps I've smelled so far so I'm a terrible judge of vanilla. *gets popcorn ready*

I just tried Mad Oils Vanilla Milk which to my nose is different from the standard vanilla. As you'd imagine, it has more milky notes but those often smell fake to me so I'm waiting to judge as it ages. I second the Vanilla Bean Noel- very popular and is sweeter than some other vanillas but not cloyingly sweet.

I just tried Mad Oils Vanilla Milk too. It's still in the mold, but I'd be happy to share impressions as it cures. I don't care for the bakery, buttery vanilla scents. Vanilla Bean Noel is one of the very few BBW fragrances I love. I bought some lotion last year, and the Vanilla Milk FO reminds me of that (I think - haven't had it around for awhile). Anyway, I really liked the Vanilla Milk OOB.

I just tried Mad Oils Vanilla Milk too. It's still in the mold, but I'd be happy to share impressions as it cures. I don't care for the bakery, buttery vanilla scents. Vanilla Bean Noel is one of the very few BBW fragrances I love. I bought some lotion last year, and the Vanilla Milk FO reminds me of that (I think - haven't had it around for awhile). Anyway, I really liked the Vanilla Milk OOB.

Nice. I think a good assessment of different vanilla bean noel dupes would be good, I'll be sure to include that one in the testing then.

I've had my soap cut for a couple of days (Vanilla Milk). It's still very nice, but I think it is a little less sweet than it was OOB. I do like this one so far.

Vanilla Bean Noel

What timing to stumble across this thread -- I just made a CP test batch of Crafter's Choice "Vanilla Bean Noel" last night! (I scented heavy at 4%.) I cut it this morning, and got a whole lot of NOTHING! I do realize that scent comes and goes -- and then may come back again as the soap cures, so we'll see.

I'm currently on a quest to find the STRONGEST Vanilla FO. I have ordered about 30 samples so far, and have not been able to find one that holds up well enough to my standards in CP soap. So far the best I've found is Sweet Cakes "Tahitian Vanilla," but even that is not strong enough for me. The next best of the bunch I've tested is Rustic Escentuals "French Vanilla & Oak." Again, not strong enough for me.

I've been finding that the vanilla component of the FOs I've tried tends to burn off during saponification. I go for fragrance oils that knock me over, so I'm not sure if the strong vanilla I'm looking for exists.

Also, I'm looking for a true vanilla, or possibly a floral vanilla -- I'm not really interested in a "food" scented vanilla. Call me crazy, but I don't like to smell like food.

Jim

Vanilla Musk from CC is fantastic and sticks, but it's not a straight vanilla. It has some woody notes to it and it's not very sweet. It also heats and moves at the speed of light, so I'm only using it in blends. It's one of my all time favorite fragrances, very unisex. I just wish it was easier to work with.

jblaney -- CC's "Vanilla Musk" is the next one I was going to try. It smells amazing right out of the bottle.

You mention how it heats up. . . Have you tried soaping with it by chilling your oil mixture and lye mixture separately -- to just above the temp where the oils begin to solidify (like around 70-75 degrees) -- before combining?

Jim - No, I have not tried that, but that sounds promising. Please post what your experience is once you soap it since I would love to know. Will you be soaping with Palm or Lard? I hate giving up on it, but it moved so fast I only had about 30 seconds and it was almost solid.

It's turns dark chocolate brown, but not black brown like some. It sticks forever! If you like it OOB, you will like it in soap.

Latest posts

Back