Vanilla Stabilizer in Hot Process Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdc1978

Reaction score
Does anyone think this would work to prevent discoloration? I know that it generally doesn't work with cold process soap, but I'm assuming thats because the soap hasn't saponified yet. But my understanding, with hot process soap is that it has saponoified and so, in that way, it would be more like melt and pour soap, which, as I understand it, vanilla stabilizer works on to prevent discoloration.

I want to try some more fluid hot process soap and it would be great if I didn't have to worry (as much) about discoloration.

I don’t know about hot process soap, but plenty of us use vanilla color stabilizer in CP soap, and it does work. There is even a thread about making your own; search for homemade vanilla stabilizer, and it should come up.

That may be specific to that particular VS?
But the VS I use works in CP soap. I haven't tried it in HP yet, but I know others have.

Oh, thats entirely possible. I'm pretty sure it was an article from Soap Queen/Brambleberry so you're right, it might only be applicable to the VS she sells/uses on her site. Good catch!

A few of us here in SMF use the VCS from Bitter Creek, and it seems to work very well when used 1:1 with the FO, but blended into the oils, rather than with the fragrance itself.

However, the homemade version referred to in the other thread seems to be holding its own, at a far lower cost of use. The shipping cost from Bitter Creek was super high for me.

Does anyone think this would work to prevent discoloration? I know that it generally doesn't work with cold process soap, but I'm assuming thats because the soap hasn't saponified yet. But my understanding, with hot process soap is that it has saponoified and so, in that way, it would be more like melt and pour soap, which, as I understand it, vanilla stabilizer works on to prevent discoloration.

I want to try some more fluid hot process soap and it would be great if I didn't have to worry (as much) about discoloration.
The VS I use works GREAT in both CP and HP. It can hold off discoloration for up to a year+ in FO's that discolor to an almost black, and indefinitely for FO's that discolor anywhere from a light tan to a medium brown.

The VS I use works GREAT in both CP and HP. It can hold off discoloration for up to a year+ in FO's that discolor to an almost black, and indefinitely for FO's that discolor anywhere from a light tan to a medium brown.
I do like a good batch of HP, so that's great to hear that it works in HP. Do you mind sharing which brand you use?

I do like a good batch of HP, so that's great to hear that it works in HP. Do you mind sharing which brand you use?
BCN's. I've been using their VS for about 15 years now. I know shipping has gone up, but I will bite the bullet and pay it because it's the only one that I've used that has ever kept the discoloration (not only from vanilla) away. All others I've tried and used (almost all of them I think) don't even come close in comparison. The ALL started to wear off and discolor within 6 months or sooner. BB's didn't even last through a full cure.

BCN is the only one I'll use.
I saw the thread about making your own, but I didn't see any specific instructions on how to make it, without extensive reading, and tbh with my FT job, and all my side hustles I just do not have time to try and figure it out at the moment. Maybe come this spring if things settle down...

@jcandleattic that's the same one I have, as well. I think the homemade version will be pretty simple to make, but it's not a bad idea to wait and see if it works as well as the BCN version.
I wouldn't mind trying it out, It's more of me not having the time to sit down and try to decipher the article you sent, or read the whole 192+ replies to that thread. LOL
My day job has been crazy with 10-12 hour days, then trying to fill candle/soap orders, plus trying to get a handle on my resin art, it's just exhausting. LOL After the holidays things will hopefully slow down a bit and I can make some time for myself. :)

Latest posts

Back