Vanilla Stabilizer Affecting Unmolding Time?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieMae

Reaction score
I tried searching for this on the forum but came up short.

Does anyone else find that vanilla stabilizer affects their unmolding time? This is my first time doing a lot of "Christmas" scents so this is the most I've used stabilizer at one given time. I'm noticing all my batches with the VS (in 2:1 FO:VS ratio) are taking over 48 days hours to harden up enough to be unmolded. And even then, the bottom corners stay soft and I have to "remold" them once the loaf is out. All of my non-VS batches are still ready to pop out in under 24 hours, perfectly cleanly.

Just wondering if this is "typical" when using vanilla stabilizer or if perhaps it's something unique to the brand that I have.

The brand I'm using is Crafter's Choice (via Candora Soap located in Ontario, Canada). Here's the link to the product: Crafters Choice™ Vanilla Colour Stabilizer (CP) Candora Soap

I've used the VS with different FO's at a rate from 3% to 6%. Vanillin content has ranged from 0.7% to 6%. The most recent ones that I tried to unmold today (at 48 hours and the sides of the mold still won't release) was 5% FO with 5.0% vanillin.

I don’t have an answer about the VS, but I do recommend putting the loaf in the freezer for an hour, and then letting it sit for about five minutes before unmolding. Make for easier release with less damage to the corners.

I don't have a problem like that with the VS I use, but I don't use Crafter's Choice VS. I found it didn't work all that well. At least not anywhere near as good as the one I use works.

My soaps all unmold in the same amount of time whether I have a VS in the soap or not, with the same firmness/feel to the soaps.

Latest posts

Back