vanilla & discoloration

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused - I know that vanilla FOs & those w/vanilla in them can cause discoloration(especially in soap) ...I remember several years ago, certain vanilla blends would turn my lotions a pinkish brown ...I hate to use 'chemical' additives to prevent this. But is seems recently I'm not experiencing this any longer. I have several samples stowed away that have not changed yet ... are certain formulas more prone to vanilla color change & others resist it?

Also - what is vanilla color stabilzer? WSP did not give the INCI name for it. Thanks.

A lot of companies are beging to make nondiscoloring vanilla fos now & all vanillas do not discolor equally to begin with.

I do not know what WSP stabalizer contains. Have you tried calling them?

I have the stabilizer from Bitter Creek, but have yet to use it.

Digit

Edited to add: They list the INCI as Fragrance. I did find this at another site: "INCI Ingredients You are neutralizing and modifying a fragrance therefore list "fragrance" on your INCI label."

i haven't called for the actuall INCI name yet ...don't know if I will even use any ...so, maybe this is one of those 'proprietary' formuals where we don't get disclourse?

eden said:
i haven't called for the actuall INCI name yet ...don't know if I will even use any ...so, maybe this is one of those 'proprietary' formuals where we don't get disclourse?

Bingo! It falls under "trade secret".

I used WSP non browning stinky stuff. I mixed in 1:1 with Pink sugar and let it sit for 4 days. Then I mixed it in with my clear MP and pink mica. I let that sit melted, stirred and covered for 4 weeks. No Color change, smells great. Does vanilla fragrance discolor in MP? Could I have skipped the stinky stuff? I didn't want to chance it, so I went ahead and used it.

Back