vanilla bean

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanAshwood

Reaction score
I have a friend who wants me to make him some vanilla soap for his birthday and I’m honestly very new to making soap so I’m really kind of at a loss... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ^^;;; I’d like to stay away from fragrance oils as much as possible and I’d been thinking about using some vanilla paste but was unsure if it would work in soap! One question though, what is vanillin powder?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use vanilla bean paste, very little of the scent will come through.

Unless you go super high $ and try vanilla absolute, ($115 for 1 oz), you won't be able to get naturally scented vanilla soap. Vanilla paste usually has alcohol in it - mine does, at least. That will cause the soap to separate.

What is vanilla powder: https://www.google.de/search?q=what...rome..69i57.5399j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You could try benzoin resin or there is another eo that has notes similar to vanilla, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is, it has a "pine" name... ugh. I feel like this contributed nothing. I have some at home because I tried it before I embraced FO's, and my daughter and I have skin sensitivities to benzoin resin - which is something to watch out for because I remember reading that there is an allergy concern with benzoin. The benzoin (or whatever the other EO is) isn't a true vanilla fragrance but it has the warm notes associated with vanilla. Marie at humblebee and me uses it in most of her vanilla recipes.

Palmarosa EO! I knew I'd remember it eventually. I might have missed the mark though on it being a pine name... erg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much everyone! Really appreciate it! I’m on kind of a deadline for his birthday so I did end up just going with vanilla FO but hopefully he will still enjoy it and I know he’s alright with FOs because he specifically said he didn’t care what I had to do but he wanted a vanilla bar and he wanted cucumber melon... to which I asked “what kind of melon?” :p

Latest posts

Back