Vanilla and color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it took me a year to work up the courage to tackle a 9% vanilla fo... but I did it! Thanks everyone who gave me ideas for this project. I left the purple and black unfragranced. I fragranced the top portion with the soap shreds, but didn't use any color. It discolored to a nice brown. I was happy with the end result.

1490230928845.jpg

amd They look very nice! I have a cocoa butter recipe wanting to use with a high vanilla fragrance too. I may post it here to share with you. Please let me know if your color changes over time.

I kind of did it before, and I loved the brown color, and then on the shower it went back to white. ????

:???:

amd They look very nice! I have a cocoa butter recipe wanting to use with a high vanilla fragrance too. I may post it here to share with you. Please let me know if your color changes over time.

I kind of did it before, and I loved the brown color, and then on the shower it went back to white. ????

:???:

I think that may have to do with air exposure? As the soap inside is exposed to air the vanillan will react and darken. I think that's right? I wish I were better at science-y stuff.

I know these bars started out very white and morphed brown over time. They are about 8 weeks old now and seem to still be darkening. When I cut my end cuts for samples, they were a much lighter brown inside but the cut edges have also been darkening as they age.

Back