Vacuum chamber to speed curing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltwater Scented

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using a vacuum chamber to speed curing on a CP soap?

I'm curious because I have a 15 gallon vacuum chamber sitting under the table where I have my bars curing right now.

If no one has tried it I'll put a few bars of each in there and see what happens. It might be funny if they all explode in slow motion. Maaaaaaybe just one bar of each then.

Ditto what Shunt and jcandleattic said. When it comes to soap, the terms 'curing' and 'evaporation' are not synonymous. Evaporation is actually only one part of the curing process as a whole. There is also the 'crystalization' part, and time is crystalization's best friend in the whole world. Here is a wonderful explanation of the crystallization process and what goes on inside a soap during cure if you were allowed to take a peek in: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/cure-time.35831/#post-548993

IrishLass :)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Interesting that DeeAnna's post mentions that commercial soaps are processed by vacuum drying.

And as we've stated there is a difference between drying and curing. Drying is only a small part of it.

My apologies, I didn't mean to sound obtuse or contrary to the advise given. It was more along the lines of "Huh, I wasn't so crazy to think a vacuum might somehow be useful in some small way."

My apologies, I didn't mean to sound obtuse or contrary to the advise given. It was more along the lines of "Huh, I wasn't so crazy to think a vacuum might somehow be useful in some small way."

I'm not sure how useful it would be, though, for the way in which we make soap as compared to the commercial manufacturers, since, from what I understand, the commercial producers use the vacuum spray dryers to turn soap which is still in its liquid batter form, into dry soap flakes (i.e., they are not vacuum drying already made whole bars): Scroll up to page 133 and make your way down: https://books.google.com/books?id=G...v=onepage&q=vacuum drying soap flakes&f=false

I'm not sure how useful it would be, though, for the way in which we make soap as compared to the commercial manufacturers, since, from what I understand, the commercial producers use the vacuum spray dryers to turn soap which is still in its liquid batter form, into dry soap flakes (i.e., they are not vacuum drying already made whole bars): Scroll up to page 133 and make your way down: https://books.google.com/books?id=GBcfCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=vacuum+drying+soap+flakes&source=bl&ots=FXZUgm-6a9&sig=ACfU3U1rCTcI0tlM4gYOEHIqos9rEOWfXQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiik_2rvKjkAhUYpJ4KHbTTAqwQ6AEwEHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=vacuum drying soap flakes&f=false

More soap science, YAY!

It's an interesting idea. The only thing I can think of that might be bad is there's a chance you could get bubbles in the soap. As others have said there's more going on than just drying during the cure. So, you'll still need to let it cure. If you try it, please post your results. I'd be interested in the outcome.

Latest posts

Back