Using wax crayon as wax dyes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkas

Reaction score
I've heard that some candle making hobbyists use wax crayons to color wax for candles. What do you think about it? Are these colored with pigment dyes or wax soluble dyes? Considering that pack of crayons costs 0,5$, that would be a cheap dye.

Now, I don't make candles but have read up on them as been thinking about trying them. I've heard that crayons can clog the wicks on candles. You can get candle dyes pretty reasonably priced at a lot of suppliers. Though I just noticed your in Lithuania so many be harder to come by.

I make soy candles and have been for about 6 years now. I just did an experiment and posted about it on my Facebook page (click here to view the results). I used about 1/4th of a crayon and it did not burn well at all, plus it was a fairly light blue so to use half that amount for coloring an 8oz soy candle would give you a very, very light blue. I even used Crayola brand which I read was the only kind that works for this.

It is the pigment in the crayon that will clog the wick. Also, I could even smell some of the crayon smell even though the candle had it's own fragrance.

I would not recommend using crayons unless you are using the candles for home use only and only want to tint your candles by using a very, very small amount of crayon. I've seen people post videos of making very colorful candles using half a crayon and some soy wax and I'm sitting there thinking....that candle isn't going to burn! It looks great, but it's not going to burn long if at all! lol

Anyway, candle dye doesn't cost much, especially the liquid dyes (they last forever!)

Thank you for clearing it out! I was afraid crayons will contain pigment dyes, so purchasing liquid dyes is more reasonable approach.

Latest posts

Back