using two soaps (different properties) in one shower

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharonys

Reaction score
Hi,
Do you think it is a good idea to use two soap in one shower like:

100% Coconut oil to make the skin super clean,

then use 100% olive oil to retain the moisture ?

A 100% coconut oil soap will strip the natural oils from your skin. Following up with a 100% olive oil soap is not going to add moisture to your skin because you've already stripped the body's oils away. Soap does not add moisture. It's a wash off product. However, because of the lye discount, not all of the fats/oils are saponified and some are left behind in the soap, and theoretically, left on your skin. I don't think it would be enough to counteract the stripping nature of the coconut soap; however, I'm not a dermatologist or a scientist. Personally, I think it is a bad idea. Lathering up and rinsing off twice in the same shower seems overkill; especially since Americans tend to overdo the personal hygiene thing. But it's what YOU think that matters. If that's what you want to do, and you feel comfortable doing it, then, I say: "Go for it!!"

I can't help but wonder, though, what exactly are you trying to do/accomplish by doing that? Wouldn't you (and your skin) be better off by using a more balanced bar of soap? Any soap will get you clean. 100% coconut oil soap is extremely drying to many people (me included); whereas well-cured 100% olive oil soaps are not drying. 100% OO soaps are not that great if they're not well cured. They don't lather very well. However, a well balanced (ie mixed oils/fats) bar of soap is a great bar of soap if it has the "right" fatty acid combination. And by right fatty acid combination, I mean the right combination for your skin. I've created the "perfect" recipe for my skin. I have skin issues and need something mild and gentle. To me, "mild" means low on the cleansing numbers and "gentle" means high on the conditioning numbers.

Ditto what Susie and Theresa said- no need to wash twice. Just formulate a good recipe with a high enough superfat that works well with your skin-type....... or if you want, you could always follow up washing with an 'in-the-shower' lotion bar. I do that sometimes in the winter.

IrishLass :)

Not to get too off topic... I DO have multiple bars of soap in my shower but that's cause I'm always testing what I've made. :mrgreen:

Me, too. I think we all do. What kind of soapers would we be if we didn't have a shower over run with testers, right? But I doubt many (any?) of us lather up twice in one shower for the OP's stated reason. Maybe test one bar on this leg and compare it to another bar on the other leg, yes, but to first clean and then "moisturize"? I doubt it. I usually use a different bar each day because I'm always testing.

I've scaled down quite a bit from my early days of soaping- I only keep 5 bars in my shower nowadays compared to the whopping 20-something I used to keep in there- which makes my hubby very happy. LOL I test them out on different parts of me, but only one pass per shower.

20 something??!!! How big is YOUR shower?? Being a male and having fuzz on my body I usually take 4 bars in with me to test lather, mainly. One for each leg and the chest gets split in two. I usually come out of the shower smelling like a cornucopia of scents that no one can ever really pinpoint.
Reading this thread I'm under the impression that soapers are some of the cleanest people around! :mrgreen:

I've scaled down quite a bit from my early days of soaping- I only keep 5 bars in my shower nowadays compared to the whopping 20-something I used to keep in there- which makes my hubby very happy. LOL I test them out on different parts of me, but only one pass per shower.

20 something??!!! How big is YOUR shower??

Apparently not big enough, which is why my hubby is so happy I've narrowed it down to 5! :lol:

It actually only takes up the same amount of L x W space that as a regular/standard-size bathtub, but the frame for its sliding glass doors has a nice ledge on top which is able to conveniently hold several soap dishes along its length (some of which I stacked with 2 soaps), and it's also high enough to keep my soap out of the reach of water spray.

But as it turns out, my hubby actually likes being able to use some of that space for his stuff, too, wouldn't you know it! :razz: LOL

Hi,
Do you think it is a good idea to use two soap in one shower like:

100% Coconut oil to make the skin super clean,

then use 100% olive oil to retain the moisture ?

No, for the aforementioned reasons. But also the curing time for those two soaps is so very different. Anyway, with a good recipe and a good cure time, one bar will do it all.

As to keeping all those bars in the shower, I do not. I have a few in a soap dish on the shelf/seat surrounding my tub, but they stay there to dry out between use. I only take one bar into the shower and afterward it goes back to the dish on the shelf where it dries outside the shower. If they stayed in my shower they would get wet everyday even though they would not all be used everyday.

I bought one of those suction cup item holders from Walmart. Works well to hold soap, and it is high enough to stay dry.

I just don't understand how anyone can have dry bars of soap in their showers when the shower is running. But then, how our showers are set up could be the reason. Nothing in my shower is dry when the shower is running. Besides the fact that I like very hot showers, so lots of steam during the shower. And I do not have an exhaust fan over the shower; that happens to be way over in another part of the room, which might be another reason for everything in the shower getting wet. Plus our shower head is rather high above my head because that was a deal-breaker for my husband when we were house hunting (not being high over my head, but being high enough for his head). But even when I point the shower head toward the wall, my husband's bar of soap gets wet and it's on the far side of the shower. If I forget my bar of soap and leave it on the soap shelf in the shower stall (two little seats and two little soap shelves are built into the shower surround), it always gets wet. From water bouncing off Hubby's head? Or just the fact that there's a lot of water running during the shower?

Latest posts

Back