Using Two Preservatives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crownite

Reaction score
Does anyone use both Liquid germ all plus and optiphen in their lotion? I'm thinking about including both into my lotion recipes going forward. I've found my lotions with liquid germ all plus 2 of my jars developed mold at the very top. I know it's condensation related but was wondering if two preservatives can prevent this from occurring.

Last edited:
I have been curious about double preservation as well for peace of mind more than anything else. I use LGP and it seems to work fine- I've done the microbial tests a few times and didn't get any growths.
Just my opinion, but I would check into the condensation issues. Although 2 preservatives might help, if you know why you're getting mold, I would work on trying to eliminate it.

I have been curious about double preservation as well for peace of mind more than anything else. I use LGP and it seems to work fine- I've done the microbial tests a few times and didn't get any growths.
Just my opinion, but I would check into the condensation issues. Although 2 preservatives might help, if you know why you're getting mold, I would work on trying to eliminate it.

It's definitely the condensation. I was reading somewhere that in order to prevent this, I can open the jar, wipe the condensation off, close it and then give it a nice shake.

When I make lotion I do 2 gallons at a time, but it in a new bucket and cover with a light reusable cleaning cloth. They are a fibrous type cloth that breathes, so the lotion can cool with no moisture collecting. Once it is cooled I leave the cloth cover on and snap down the bucket lid. This way I get no condensation in my lotion. I never pour warm lotion in a bottle

Any experience combining phenonip with LGP in batches? They have different ingredients and from what I've reading Phenonip is a really good option. Since I learned it was a condensation issue and corrected it I haven't had any issues but would like the peace of mind.

"...I know it's condensation related but was wondering if two preservatives can prevent this from occurring...."

Yes, a preservative could do that, but then your preservation system will not be available for long term protection of the product.

A preservative is like a carrying a bottle of water on a long hike. You have two strategies -- you can start the hike thirsty, empty the water bottle right away, and have nothing for the hike or you can hydrate at home and then sip on the bottle as you go.

Just last night I noticed some mold growing in a half-used tube of lotion that I made a few months ago. The tube is clear and it stands up on the cap, so it was easy to see the mold across the surface of the remaining lotion. I use liquid Germall Plus at 0.5%. No mold is apparent in another almost empty tube of the same batch or with my other formulas. I filled the tubes from a ziplock bag after the lotion was cool. A condensation problem inside the tube seems unlikely because the tube was filled with cool lotion. The only possibility that I can come up with is that the lotion was not completely cool when I first put it in the ziplock and maybe there was condensation in the bag that I didn’t notice. Next time I will be sure to cover the batch with a clean piece of cloth and let it cool completely before I put it in the plastic bag to fill the tubes.

I didn’t know that I can use two different preservatives together. Luckily, I already have Optiphen. I might try adding it at the mid- or lower recommended concentration first. I’m thinking that I must be close to an effective preservative level with the LGP given that this is the first time I’ve seen mold.

Latest posts

Back