Using Tupperware for molds?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleodnaturals

Reaction score
If I wanted to use a Tupperware container for a mold is there anything special I have to do to prep it? Do I still have to line it with parchment paper or something or is the plastic non-stick enough?

thx!
mcleodnaturals

I've used some smaller plastic containers before and I had to break them in order to get the soap out. These days I use a long drawer organizer and line it wit saran wrap. Works like a charm. I don't think I got gel with my smaller containers and maybe that was part of the problem too.

I use plastic containers all the time. I never line them. The only time I ever have a problem with it sticking is when I become impatient and try to remove it from the mold to soon.

Chay, do you put them in the freezer before popping them out?? I use the butcher paper and it works like a charm. k

Very rarely, every once in a while I'll get one that tries to be stubborn and I'll put it in the freezer for a bit.
Most of my soaping is done in a lined wooden mold, but when I want to make extra of a particular scent for the family, I put the overflow into whatever plastic bowl I can find. I have a small stack of bowls with missing lids that I use. When I'm ready to unmold I just turn it over and push on the bottom. Most times they pop right out.

I know I have used the little twist and seal containers that I use for my butters and scrubs on an occassion and it worked well for me, but the were small. Thanks for the info. k

I (3rd?) that on the freezer paper...hasnt wronged me yet though it may leave creases in the soap (so saran might work a little better)...im still experimenting at which way i like the best :)

wouldnt the pam saponify and turn into a covering on the soap? its made of oils?!

Thanks for all your answers!

I guess I should have clarified my question a bit....the reason I wanted to use the tupperware container is because it's got these cool ridges on the bottom and I thought that would be awesome for the top of a bar of soap. So, that being said, I'd like to avoid having to line the container because it'll ruin the ridges.

I might try it anyway and then pop it in the freezer. It's quite a rigid container for veggies, so I don't think I could press on the bottom to 'pop' it out.

thx,
mcleodnaturals

IanT, I've used PAM in mine and it never once saponified. The soap comes right out. Prior to using the PAM, I tried putting it in the freezer and hammering the bottom of the container and sticking hard spatulas down the side and absolutely nothing worked but the PAM.

gallerygirl said:
mcleod, is it the t-ware that has like the diamond pattern in the bottom??? k

nope, it's got ripples along the bottom to keep the veggies from sitting in moisture in the fridge. it's a long rectangular one, so it'll be a huge batch of soap, which is why I want to make sure it's gonna come out!!!

:D

Back