Using Titanium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
So I just got some, and I know I mix it with water, and can figure out making the base white. But what if I want to make some colors lighter? Do I color the base first and then separate out into the mica containers? Or do I add a little TD to the mica colored batter after? Also my bottle of TD did not come with usage instructions, just 'mix with water'. No indication how much. Is it like mica? 1 tsp/ppo-ish?
Thank you!

How much you need depends on your recipe. My basic recipe is nearly white on its own so I just need a little TD. Made a 3.5 lb batch today and maybe used a tsp.
If your recipe is darker, 1tsp ppo is a good beginning place.

If you want all your colors lighter then go ahead and add the TD to the whole batch then separate and color your other portions.

If you just want some lighter portions, separate that then add your TD and mica. I usually add the mica first then the TD.

I like to mix my TD before I start prepping my other ingredients. Give it time to absorb water so lumps are a bit easier to smoosh up.

If I'm coloring the whole batch, I'll add the TD to the oils before the lye and blend it really well

I've added TD to my lye solution before, when I wanted pastels for the whole batch. It worked well for me. I prefer the water TD as I found it more difficult to get out clumps with the oil one. I've also premixed in a little squirt bottle with a couple of metal bearings in it. That way it's ready to go when I need it. Just give it a shake.

I also like pre-mixing the TD since it's easier that way to get out all the clumps. So if I'm using TD pre-mixed with water, do I need to use a bit less water in my lye solution to compensate for the extra water in the TD?

I have found that the TD dissolves easily in hot water.
Even though my td is labeled oil, i have been experimenting with dissolving in hot water taken from my batch water. So far i have had luck with it and no glycerin rivers. Maybe my td was mislabeled...i dont know. I have a lot of it and thats how i have been doing it for several weeks. I only make what i need, and use disposable cups because its a pita to clean otherwise.

I tea TD to 1 tab Water. How much you use is completely up to you, but if you are using a recipe that calls for 1 tea TD PPO, you would add 1 tab of your TD mixture.

There is no rule of thumb when it comes to lightening (or darkening) colors because there are just too many colors out there. You may be using a shade of pink that just needs a tad bit of TD to lighten it, you may be using a shade of green that needs a lot more.

I like pre mixing TD in oil & use my mini mixer before use. It seams to stay creamer in oil then in water for me. I like the idea of mixing TD in lye water' i'm gonna try that. Thx Rsapienza 👍🏼💫.

Personally, I don't bother with adjusting my water for the small amount of TD that is used. But I also use a pretty high light concentration (40%) to reduce ash, and so that I don't need to worry about a little extra liquid here and there. As long as you aren't starting with a low-lye, high-water mix, you should be fine.

Thanks, AliOop. I use the standard 2 to 1 water to lye that is the default on SMF lye calc. I might use anywhere from 1 to 3 tbsp of my TD/water mix. I don't always know when I begin if I'll need to use the higher amount to get the color I'm after, but I'm guessing if I do use more, maybe I would need a longer cure to evaporate the extra water?

You might need a longer cure, or you might get warping. Another risk of high water + TD is glycerin rivers. Those aren't bad if you want them, but they could interfere with the planned design.

If you think you might need a lot of TD, you could start with a lower water amount. Maybe try 1.8 to 1 and see what you think. Lowering water can also reduce soda ash and help with unmolding sooner.

Thanks for letting me know about that. I have noticed some glycerin rivers a couple times, so I suppose it was likely from the extra water. I will go a little lighter on the water when I'm aiming for a lighter soap. Having the TD pre-mixed sure makes mixing go easier.

Back