Using Titanium Dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreThanBags

Reaction score
I make only goat milk soap and love its natural creamy color but would like to do some color swirls. I have read about using titanium dioxide to whiten soap and wondered if it worked with goat milk soap. I also read about water based versus oil based titanium dioxide but when I look at it to order it doesn't mention those qualities. Do most of you mix it with oil or water?

I have mixed mine with oil, as I have purchaed the oil type. It has worked well so far.
I wonder if someone can recommend a safe usage ammount. Also, I have heard some pre-mix the titanium dioxide so they can just shake it up and squirt it in the batter. It's there a recommended dilution rate?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Soap Making mobile app

Hello! I have used both and do not see (or feel) much difference. I do recommend that no matter which type you use MAKE SURE to blend well before and after adding to your soap batter. I have had "clumps" in a few bars even though I thought I had properly blended but apparently I did not do so. I know some soapers have a portable small hand held mini-mixer that they use in a small container to blend measured TD and other powdered colorants with some oils or batter.

I have used both water and oil TD. I prefer the oil type. Just personal preference for me. I pre mix my TD in just enough Oilive Oil to make is squeezeable. I mix it really well in my Bullet Blender and then put it in a squeeze bottle. I have found that TD does two things to my soap...1 if not blended well you will see specks in your soap and 2 it seems to make my soap trace a bit faster.

I have only used the water soluble TD, and I make GM soap also. I premix mine with water and keep it in a squeeze bottle also. I just use enough water to make it kind of liquid, and then just add it to the batter. If you premix, just make sure you shake it up good before using it. Also, using too much TD in the soap can give you cracks/crackle looking lines in the soap. Another option I've heard of is to use the pearly white mica... I haven't tried it though, so don't know how it works as a whitener.
One more side note, lol, a lot of colors will come out just fine without whitening the soap first. I use the TD for a "whiter" swirl and also before making purple or yellow swirls. For some reason I always have problems with those two colors, lol.

Interesting that you bring up TiO2, because I noticed the latest labels of Ivory soap, which they are labeling the ingredients of (which I find interesting in itself, because for many years after the ing. labeling requirement for cosmetics was passed, they didn't), don't mention it. That wouldn't mean much except for the fact that a short while ago, when I noticed they'd started listing ings., it was listed. But that may have been before P&G sold their Ivorydale facility to someone else who they now buy the soap from. I have a hunch that whoever's making their soap now is using fats that are in better condition than P&G was last using and so have less need of whitening. Ivory being whipped/air infused (to float), it wouldn't need TiO2 for opacity, just to overcome yellowness, and I had been disappointed to learn that they were using TiO2 because of what that said about the fats they used, and I don't think they used to years ago.

As for TiO2 enhancing colors, I can only imagine it's acting as a lake. Some colorants will benefit from that, others won't.

Interesting about Ivory! I used Ivory for most of my life and what enticed me to start making soap was when I found out they had changed the ingredients a few years ago.

Interesting about Ivory! I used Ivory for most of my life and what enticed me to start making soap was when I found out they had changed the ingredients a few years ago.
What did you find out changed?

Latest posts

Back