Using theives EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone
New here! Not new at soap making but newish because I’ve been using the same chocolate chip cookie over and over, I have been having fun exploring recipes. I usually use EO and love it however I’ve been playing with fragrance and have experienced ricing and my soap gettting super thick in not time. I started adding fragrance just before my pour now. My question is being new I put a little cinnamon in my soap and it totally seized. I don’t ever want to use cinnamon or clove again. I have addicted to theives oil in my diffuser and was wondering if anyone has used it and how much per 1.5 lb?

Thieves contains multiple EOs that are skin sensitizers, and have EXTREMELY low skin-safe usage rates. The highest safe amount will depend on the percentage of cinnamon bark and clove bud EOs as there are a number of different recipes for Thieves, but I would expect the rate to be less than 1% of your oils weight, potentially .1% (note decimal). If you can't verify the percentages of the EOs in the blend, or the manufacturer cannot provide IFRA usage rates, then I wouldn't use it.

Thieves contains multiple EOs that are skin sensitizers, and have EXTREMELY low skin-safe usage rates. The highest safe amount will depend on the percentage of cinnamon bark and clove bud EOs as there are a number of different recipes for Thieves, but I would expect the rate to be less than 1% of your oils weight, potentially .1% (note decimal). If you can't verify the percentages of the EOs in the blend, or the manufacturer cannot provide IFRA usage rates, then I wouldn't use it.
I saw a theives oil soap at the store and was curious how they did that. I found a recipe online it was all in drops measures. It was to annoying to calculate. I will just keep theives as room spray . Thank you

I started adding fragrance just before my pour now.
Like many others, I add fragrance to my warmed oils before adding the lye solution. This solves 2 problems: (1) The EO or FO gets well mixed into the batch before pouring. (2) You don't forget to add the fragrance as sometimes happens when you wait until then end. o_O
I put a little cinnamon in my soap and it totally seized. I don’t ever want to use cinnamon or clove again.
Cinnamon & Clove EOs are known "heaters", i.e., heat up the batch and can cause seizing. They are also "sensitizers", meaning they can irritate the skin. That being said, they are used in many blends for Fall and the Holidays. TIP: Make an ounce or two of this blend to store on your shelf until needed. Mix
1 part clove bud EO
3 parts cinnamon bark EO
Add 1 part of this combo to the EO blend you are creating. The negative impact is reduced considerably but just a bit of spicy-ness is there.
I have addicted to theives oil in my diffuser and was wondering if anyone has used it and how much per 1.5 lb?
Go to this thread to learn how to make 4 Thieves Essential Oil Blend and the recommendation for how much to add to your batch.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/4-thieves-eo-blend.81944/

HAPPY SOAPING!

Latest posts

Back