Using the wrong sources of lye.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UVsaturated

Reaction score
For those of you who actually make soap and not just M & P, I have made one page so far on some of the pitfalls of soap-making.

Although I havent created bar 1 of soap yet, I thought it would be useful to give back to the community in any way I can as I go through the process of learning to make soap, by illustrating the things one shouldn't do as well as what one should do. Think of these as tutorials if you will, hopefully they can be later pinned or stickied on the site as tutorials as they progress, as this is also a learning process for me as a newby.

Anyway, check out the link to this page of my preliminary experience with using consumer sources of lyes found in drain cleaners and why not to use aluminum utensils, and pans when mixing your lye.

Hope you enjoy:

http://www.geocities.com/ben91069/soapmaking/SudsyErrors.html

It's a geocities site and uses a frame on the side (free website nonsense), so if you don't have javascripting enabled it may not be viewable. Other than this, I don't know why you cannot see it. I am trying to find someone who can check it on another computer. Someone on another site looked at it no problem so I think it might just be a setting on your browser....what are you using?

Um, well actually, it COULD be just me lolol.
I've had computer issues for a couple of weeks now. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is just another one of em. I'll go clear out some junk and try the link again in the morning. I'm getting ready to call it a night so I can get up early (can't believe I didn't already get my tail in the BED!).

Sounds like a terrific thing you're doing though, explaining to people what the "don't-do's" are for soaping. I could've used something like that a ga-zillion times already, lol.

OMG I know you didn't mean for that to be funny, but OMGOMGOMG I laughed til my side hurt! But only because I've done that very same thing!

That's a great picture documentary & I hope you keep that up forever so lots of people will get a chance to see it. Thanks for sharing!

michelleB said:
OMG I know you didn't mean for that to be funny, but OMGOMGOMG I laughed til my side hurt! But only because I've done that very same thing!

That's a great picture documentary & I hope you keep that up forever so lots of people will get a chance to see it. Thanks for sharing!

No, I actually re-created that just for a webpage. I actually did that the first time thinking I knew something and found out lye and aluminum does not mix, which is why so many people talk of not mixing lye solutions in an aluminum pan. I never intended my first fiasco to go wrong, but the best learning experiences usually do.

What you see in those pics are a recreation of what I did, with a little humor thrown in. I didn't intend it to be funny, but I hope it makes everyone laugh so long as they don't breath all those fumes off that bad mix.

The first batch I did, was actually in my basement and in a more enclosed space. I didn't know the aluminum would spew off so much toxic fumes and actually had to open the basement windows and close it off from the upstairs. That was not as funny as the fumes are actually toxic and can kill you in an enclosed space, which is why I did the second "educational" lye water batch in the open outdoors.

But.........it was still hilarious that I knew so little and made someone laugh. Thanks for the comments.

Lye

Ouch. I haven't started on soap yet. I did try whips and have to tweek them. I have been wondering wheter or not to go purely homemade or melt and pour. I am nervous about working with certain dangerous things and your article here reminded me why. My dad was a printer and died in 72 from exposure to benzene (before OSHA) and it scares me completely to mess with any chemicals or anything like them. Melt and Pour is looking better all the time for this newbie. Our line of work is both mineral makeup and my husband and I own an orthodontic wire manufacturing company and we refuse to carry any of those dangerous dental chemicals like acrylics - we pass on them.

Guess I will be visiting this board a lot as I prepare to start making soaps, lotions, etc.

Latest posts

Back