Using the first bar of soap I ever made

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has been a year since I started my soaping evolution and I began using the first bar I ever made in the shower. I have to say I like the recipes I make now better. I am not a fan of high OO soap and this was 30% OO and 15% AO. The bar feels okay, too creamy for me but, the scent retention is amazing. I used WSP Blood Orange Goji FO and it smells as good as the day I made it. I gave it all away, but this last bar, and I was waiting for the anniversary to celebrate.

So what is your first soap story? Did you love it? How long did you wait to use it? Did is disappoint?

What a neat story - thank you for sharing it!

My first soap (almost a decade ago!) was hot-processed 100% CO with 20% SF. It came from a blog post that measured things in cups and teaspoons, and recommended vinegar for lye splashes. :eek:

I was absolutely delighted with this soap, using it for body and hair, lol. It was the only recipe I made for a few years. I shared it with friends, one of whom wanted to branch out into CP. We tried it together, and I didn't like my first CP bars at all, thinking they were greasy and hating how long it took for them to cure. Eventually I started reading more about how soap is really made, and what goes into a good recipe. Who knew that sugar, SL, tussah silk, and powdered goat milk would make such a difference!

Fast forward through a lot of researching and YT videos, and my soap of today is so much better, that old stuff can't even really be compared. With a couple of recipes that I really like under my belt, this past year has been one of experimenting with different molds and design styles. Based on what I've learned from this forum, I've now master-batched some lye and am considering master-batching my oils. It's been quite a journey. 💜

It has been a year since I started my soaping evolution and I began using the first bar I ever made in the shower. I have to say I like the recipes I make now better. I am not a fan of high OO soap and this was 30% OO and 15% AO. The bar feels okay, too creamy for me but, the scent retention is amazing. I used WSP Blood Orange Goji FO and it smells as good as the day I made it. I gave it all away, but this last bar, and I was waiting for the anniversary to celebrate.

So what is your first soap story? Did you love it? How long did you wait to use it? Did is disappoint?
Happy Soapaversary! ♥️

Latest posts

Back