Using some old soap ends with some DOS for personal use laundry detergent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbalEarthling

Reaction score
I have a bunch of scraps, ends, and imbeds that I dug up. Some of them have DOS. I understand that superfatted soap isn't necessarily the kind that you want to use in laundry detergent but maybe if I made a blend of the scraps and 0% superfatted soap...? I don't know, I hate waste, what are your thoughts? Should I just toss them?

Last edited:
I have 1 peice of advice. DON'T DO IT. Lol. I learned that the hard way.

My experience:
I used my first ever soap in a laundry soap (it was something like 100% crisco/soy). It was hard to smell it in the detergent itself when it "went off". But my clothing would smell like putrid vomit when I sweat. I couldn't tell what it was for a few weeks until I opened the closet where the unused bars were siting. They all had major DOS and when I smelled the detergent itself NOW I could pick up the scent. I don't exactly know what it is but, the DOS/rancid soap mixed with the borax and washing soda laundry detergent makes for a very bad and nasty mix. It stuck on the clothing and some of the garments even had to be thrown away.

If you do want to use it for laundry soap, you would have to rebatch the soap with excess lye to react with all of the remaining oil. Personally, I'd just send the bars ends off to clean the world.

I'll wait for someone more knowledgable to speak about the DOS issue but a short while ago Irish Lass posted a link for these polypropylene mesh bags with a drawstring on Amazon that I purchased and now I put my scraps/shavings in there and use them

I would trash anything that doesn't smell good or has visible DOS - there is really no easy way to fix that.
The rest I would use for sugar scrubs :)

Omg thank God I asked! Ew. Lol! I definitely will just be tossing them. Thankfully it's not a huge amount, maybe 15 oz worth of soap. They're actually bits of some of my first bars hence why they were buried deep in the land of the forgotten. Back in the early days, a lot of my recipes got DOS. Thanks again everyone!
Personally, I'd just send the bars ends off to clean the world.

They don't take DOS soap though, do they? Thanks for the very in depth response! Very much appreciated.
I'll wait for someone more knowledgable to speak about the DOS issue but a short while ago Irish Lass posted a link for these polypropylene mesh bags with a drawstring on Amazon that I purchased and now I put my scraps/shavings in there and use them

I'll have to dig up her link, thanks for the advice!

Most of my scraps do end up being sold, used for display purposes, or get put into new products, though. As I said, I hate waste! Usually what I do now is every time I make a new batch, the previous batch is ready to test and I take a sample for myself. I try not to spoil myself too much since there's money to be made. One of my favorite parts of this adventure Besides ya know, curing my soap addiction.
Toss the DOS bars. Do not use them for laundry. Your laundry will smell like that. I know this from experience.

Duly noted! Thanks for saving my time, clothes, and sanity!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually not sure. I guess I assume that when they "clean" the used bars of soap that they boil and salt them out which would mean that DOS doesn't matter. But, I'm not sure. It's probably best not to send them away then. Just toss them...

ETA: Finally found my answer.

"After it is*collected and shipped to a Clean the World Recycling Center, bar soap is first surface cleaned. The soap is then sterilized with a process that has been tested and validated by SGS North America. The sterilized soap is ground, and the soap grounds are inserted into a soap manufacturing line and pressed into new bars. The bars are boxed and wrapped on pallets*for distribution to those in need all over the world."

So no, they probably don't boil and salt them out. Definitely don't send the DOS bars!

Last edited:
I have 1 peice of advice. DON'T DO IT. Lol.

If you do want to use it for laundry soap, you would have to rebatch the soap with excess lye to react with all of the remaining oil. Personally, I'd just send the bars ends off to clean the world.

I thought this was a euphemism for "soap heaven" until I read your later posts!!

Back