using soap on dishes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
Does anyone do this? I'm thinking specifically 100% CO (or maybe tallow, which would last longer in use?) with 0 SF.

I've been using Ivory soap for dishes for a couple months now, ever since I ran out of dish detergent and didn't want to run to the store. It works fine. I'm pretty much vegetarian but I feed my dog raw meat so there is lots of meat chopping and cutting and stuff going on in my kitchen and I've not gotten sick washing the dishes with a scrubby sponge rubbed on an Ivory soap bar. So I'm thinking of making my own for when the Ivory runs out!

I've never used a bar soap for that purpose, but if the ivory bar is working for you, I don't see why you couldn't just use your own bar soap made with 100% CO/0% superfat.

I was looking at the ingredients for Original Ivory bar soap and it has these ingredients:

Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Palmate, Water, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance, Coconut Acid, Palm Kernel Acid, Tallow Acid, Palm Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA

If it were me, I think I might try 50% coconut oil and 50% tallow with a 0% superfat, since a 100% CO bar wouldn't last very long. Oh, and I'd definitely include the Tetrasodium edta in it to help cut down on scum.

IrishLass :)

That's why I was thinking tallow maybe, for the longevity. I have very soft water so scum is not usually a problem. 50/50 CO/tallow sounds good.
Thanks IrishLass!

I remember hubbys grandma always had a bar of harsh soap and home-made scrubbies by the kitchen sink.

I use my own liquid CO soap for dishes, and I wouldn't be adverse to a bar soap and scrubby by the sink, but liquid is so darn easy. I would probably go with 100% CO just because I love its cleansing power and bubbles. But your idea of half tallow makes sense - let us know how it works?

Liquid soap is truly easy to make, and I use it all the time. My favorite is 100% CO, though. I set everything that is greasy in to soak before I start washing, then by the time I get back to those items, they are almost clean enough.

I'm not adverse to making liquid soap, but the bar is SO easy sitting right there. :)
And yeah, Ivory is very drying, but I have a pile of bars sitting there I need to use up - in laundry soap, on the dishes...somehow. lol. I do have to lotion my hands after washing the dishes with it!

My grandmother often used bar soap on dishes. It was the old "lye soap" she used for household stuff (and sassy grandkids's mouths). It had a red and white wrapper. I wish I could remember the name.

Latest posts

Back