Using single cell molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zainab91

Reaction score
Hey every one.
I’m new to soap making and have made 5 batches now trying out different recipes and how they react with the scents I have.

I have made 4 batches in the loaf mold and recently did a batch in a mold with single cells trying to get a nice rectangle shaped bar of soap.

Now I remember reading somewhere that soap sometimes needs more time in the single cell molds to fully harden.
But dang it at 5 days my soap was still sticking to the bottom of the molds so I didn’t get the nice smooth bar of soap I was looking for 💔

after removing them they hardened nicely but are messy with indented edges and rough spots where the bar stuck to the mold.

I read that I could pop it in the freezer to help with un-molding but from what I saw I honestly doubt that would work.
Plus my freezer is tiny 😂

Does anyone have any advice?

This is the recipe I used and I have used it without any issues in the loaf mold:

Lye concentration 33%
Olive oil pomace 60%
Coconut oil 20%
Palm oil 10%
Shea butter 5%
super fat 5%

Welcome! The freezer trick does work. You can also add salt or sodium lactate to your batter to help harden it and for better mold release.

Welcome! The freezer trick does work. You can also add salt or sodium lactate to your batter to help harden it and for better mold release.
I’ll try the freezer. I’m worried about adding hardeners because my fragrance oils accelerate my batter really fast. Or does salt harden after?

Have your soaps go through gel phase. When I use individual cavity molds, I always have to force gel by placing the molds on a heating pad and insulating. I also agree with @AliOop that sodium lactate or salt will help.
I’ try this thanks
Your recipe is also quite high in OO which can lead to the soap taking longer to set up. I'd increase the palm to 30% and lower the OO.

It will also help the bar last longer and cure in 6 weeks instead of the 6+ months a high OO soap needs.
I have issues with my fragrance oils seizing up my batter so I try to go as fluid a batter as possible and I still end up spooning it in 😂
But I’ll have to try one of my other recipes that has less OO and compare the unmolding
Thanks

Small amounts of sodium lactate or salt help with fluidity in the batter stage, and hardening after. Too much SL makes for a crumbly bar, and too much salt kills lather.

Small amounts of sodium lactate or salt help with fluidity in the batter stage, and hardening after. Too much SL makes for a crumbly bar, and too much salt kills lather.
Oooo that’s exactly what I need!!! More fluidity in the batter stage. Thank you so much I’ll try this out in my next batch.

Be sure to do some forum searches and read about the proper amount to add. It is pretty crucial to stay within recommended limits to avoid undesirable results. Good luck, and be sure to post some pictures!

Hey every one.
I’m new to soap making and have made 5 batches now trying out different recipes and how they react with the scents I have.

I have made 4 batches in the loaf mold and recently did a batch in a mold with single cells trying to get a nice rectangle shaped bar of soap.

Now I remember reading somewhere that soap sometimes needs more time in the single cell molds to fully harden.
But dang it at 5 days my soap was still sticking to the bottom of the molds so I didn’t get the nice smooth bar of soap I was looking for 💔

after removing them they hardened nicely but are messy with indented edges and rough spots where the bar stuck to the mold.

I read that I could pop it in the freezer to help with un-molding but from what I saw I honestly doubt that would work.
Plus my freezer is tiny 😂

Does anyone have any advice?

This is the recipe I used and I have used it without any issues in the loaf mold:

Lye concentration 33%
Olive oil pomace 60%
Coconut oil 20%
Palm oil 10%
Shea butter 5%
super fat 5%
Are you doing CP? I ask because up your oils only add up to 95%. Or are you doing HP and adding 5% of some oil after cook?

Be sure to do some forum searches and read about the proper amount to add. It is pretty crucial to stay within recommended limits to avoid undesirable results. Good luck, and be sure to post some pictures!
Ya I’ve taken a lot of notes while going through threads and I’ve seen 1 tsp of salt per pound of oil mentioned a couple of times.
and I will definitely post pictures

Back