Using silicone mold for first time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren27

Reaction score
Hi! So I just cut a soap I made last night in my wood mold lined with freezer paper and it came out rounded on the bottom. I'm not happy with the look of it, why do you think that happened? Any way to get a rectangular shape?

So, I bought the 10" silicone loaf mold from brambleberry, my only question is, how do I cover a mold with no top to insulate it for the 24 hours?

Hi! So I just cut a soap I made last night in my wood mold lined with freezer paper and it came out rounded on the bottom. I'm not happy with the look of it, why do you think that happened? Any way to get a rectangular shape?

So, I bought the 10" silicone loaf mold from brambleberry, my only question is, how do I cover a mold with no top to insulate it for the 24 hours?

Can you post a picture of the soap so we can see it? Just a guess but maybe it needed to set up longer and you unmolded too soon

Also what is the recipe you are using.

If you want to cover your other mold you can find a box that is tall enough do it does not touch the tops of the soap. But I use silicone molds all the time and I never cover them.

Was the paper nice and flat smooth along the bottom and the sides? I use a piece of wood to run along the inside edges to get a clean crease.

fit then paper in then take it out and crease the edges with your fingernail or even the edge of a ruler. A good crease is the key to a nice edge When I line my molds I crease the first long edge allowing a little overlap on the top of the mold, fit it into my mold and run my fingernail lightly down the other side to make where I want to crease it. Then I take it out and give it a good crease. HTH's

I do the same thing as Carolyn. If you don't get a nice tight fit the bottoms is a bit rounded.

As for covering a mold with no lid you can put a piece of cardboard over the top or if there's no room for that then just put a box over the top and cover with a towel. I've had good luck doing it both ways.

Can you post a picture of the soap so we can see it? Just a guess but maybe it needed to set up longer and you unmolded too soon

Also what is the recipe you are using.

If you want to cover your other mold you can find a box that is tall enough do it does not touch the tops of the soap. But I use silicone molds all the time and I never cover them.

Do you know how to convert a photo to a URL, so i can post a photo.

To post a picture, scroll down to the bottom of this thread to the "Quick reply" section. Write a message as usual.

Now, look for the button below your message that says "Manage attachments" and click on it. A small window will appear. Click the first "Browse" button and find the picture you want to upload. If you have a second picture to upload, repeat the process by clicking the second "Browse" button, etc.

Don't make your images too big (700 pixels by 700 pixels max) and don't make your picture files too large (390 kB max), or the upload won't work.

Now ... very important and easy to forget ... be sure to click the "Upload" button in the lower right part of the small window to actually transfer the pictures to SMF. You're done!

I like to put a box over mine. If I don't have a box, I put a sheet of parchment paper over the top and wrap the mold in a towel. I prefer a box b/c I have cats, and I'm always worried they'll decide to climb on top of the mold.

I hope this works, I placed a soap that has more of a square shape next to my recent soap. I use the following recipe... I really like it. Trying to keep my soaps palm free and vegan

12 ounces coconut oil
10 ounces rice bran oil
6 ounces shea butter
6 ounces avocado oil
2 ounces castor oil
5 ounces distilled water
5 ounces coconut milk
2 tsp sodium lactate
4.9 ounces lye

IMG_0759.JPG

That is also alot of soft oils in your recipe. I think the crumbly part is due to taking it out too early. That rounded end does look like a lining problem. I have had similar issues. It is just a learning curve to get them folded right. :)

I have the exact silicone mold you have. We save the sturdy restaurant take-out containers, and I use one of those plastic lids - the rim of the lid lays on the edge of the mold, and since the depth of the lid is over an inch, it doesn't touch the soap. Then I carefully cover with a towel.

That is also alot of soft oils in your recipe. I think the crumbly part is due to taking it out too early. That rounded end does look like a lining problem. I have had similar issues. It is just a learning curve to get them folded right. :)

What do you recommend I add or take out of my recipe??

If you like the recipe, nothing at all.

It will just need to stay in the mold longer, maybe another day or more

Thanks! I want to experiment with recipes but so far I have has success with this one, I like how moisturizing it is and leaves my skin so soft.

Back