Quantcast

using saffron for colorant

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

rparrny

Reaction score
Want to do a yellow bar and have a ton of saffron (bought an ounce on sale a year ago) I plan on putting in my water, then strain and add lye...
Any lye disasters to worry about?

Obsidian

Reaction score
I tried saffron once but added the crushed threads, they darkened to a deep orangy brown. Annetto might be a better option for a nice yellow.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I would infuse it into oil. But that's what I do with all my herbs and botanicals. Especially as expensive as saffron is.

rparrny

Reaction score
I would infuse it into oil. But that's what I do with all my herbs and botanicals. Especially as expensive as saffron is.
How long do you think it would take to infuse with a rich yellow color?

Dahila

Reaction score
I tried saffron once but added the crushed threads, they darkened to a deep orangy brown. Annetto might be a better option for a nice yellow.
Obsidian is right.
Saffron is very expensive and it is awesome to add to rice, while cooking it, it gives it nice yellow color and heavenly taste:)

rparrny

Reaction score
Obsidian is right.
Saffron is very expensive and it is awesome to add to rice, while cooking it, it gives it nice yellow color and heavenly taste:)
Well I don't have any other options for yellow tonight and although it is expensive what I paid for this ounce was a steal so it's not so bad. Cooking is what I originally bought it for as I use it a lot...
I got an idea in my head and it just won't go away...even though it means being up at midnight making soap...