Using Rice Bran Oil ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMee

Reaction score
I made a soap sometime last year that I really like, and I'm trying to figure out if the rice bran oil used in the soap is really complimenting it in any way. Recipe as follows... Lye concentration 33% and I added sodium lactate to the buttermilk lye solution.
Coconut Oil 30%
Crisco 10%
Lard 10%
Rice Bran Oil 18%
Olive Oil 25%
Castor 7%

The bars are at least 7 months old, they are hard and they lather well, and they feel nice on the skin. I use it on my face and my face doesn't feel tight. Do you think I would get the same or similar result if I just used olive oil at 43%, or used another soft oil like apricot, almond, or even shea oil at the same percentage as the rice bran?

Thank you for your insights!
SoapMee

Hi SoapMee- rice bran oil is high in linoleic acid, which is very nice for drier skin types. Of the 3 oils you mentioned, you'll probably get the closest/similar result from the apricot oil. It's pretty close/slightly a little lower than rice bran on the linoleic, but higher than the other 2 oils you mentioned.

IrishLass :)

Olive oil is close to rice bran oil, also. However rice bran oils is usually cheaper than olive, apricot, almond or shea oil. I order my rice bran oil in bulk, from Riceland, (6-1 gallon jugs). I can use it for cooking as well as soap. I like using rice bran oil and have never had a problem with DOS.

Thank you all for your help! I've been studying the fatty acid profiles of the different oils I have on hand that I really need to use because I'm afraid some may be coming to the end of their shelf life. It's really interesting for me, after not making any soap for about a year, to revisit some of my original recipes and the soapsmade through the lens of the fatty acid profiles. Maybe, I'm starting to "get" it a bit more; but no matter what I'm sure having fun. For me, the fun is trying to figure out what I like about one of my bars and translating that back to the oils I chose. I'm not so into swirls and designs. :) Maybe someday just because it's a journey!

for my opinion
Increasing the amount of bran in the diet can cause unpredictable bowel movements, intestinal gas, and stomach discomfort during the first few weeks. When applied to the skin: Rice bran is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when added to baths or put on the scalp. However, rice bran can cause itching and skin redness.

I have used rice bran oil from Riceland for several years, in cooking and in soap with no problem. Other oils can cause itching and redness also, if you are allergic to them.

for my opinion
Increasing the amount of bran in the diet can cause unpredictable bowel movements, intestinal gas, and stomach discomfort during the first few weeks. When applied to the skin: Rice bran is POSSIBLY SAFE for most people when added to baths or put on the scalp. However, rice bran can cause itching and skin redness.

I don't think there's a single oil that can't cause itching and redness - if you are allergic.

Latest posts

Back