Using resins that cause seizing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Maybe someone can offer some advice. I made a small batch of frankincense and myrrh soap today with some OO that I had infused with the natural resins.

I used a combination of oil infusion and solvent distillation to incorporate as much of the resins as I could. the solvent (vodka) was cooked off leaving just the oil and a small amount of fine resins behind.
The mix was very, very strong scented in the hopes that some scent will remain in the soap. It took over 8 months to extract all the goodness from the resins the way I did it.

Anyways.. my soap seized after about 20 seconds of stick blending. I mixed the lye in by hand and all looked well so I hit it with the ST and blam! thick, lumpy almost ricey looking mess.
I was able to get it in the mold but this was very disapointing. I have 2 pounds of frankincense and myrrh resin for making soap but I can't do it like this again.

Regular oil infusion seems wasteful, you have to remove most of the tears and your oil isn't really very strong smelling. I could powder them but all that does is make scratchy soap.

Is there a good way to use natural resins that won't make my soap seize and look ugly or feel like gravel?
What made it seize anyways? is it the resins themselves or maybe traces of vodka that didn't get cooked off?

When I made my version of Pear's soap and used pine rosin, the soap seized. I hot processed mine and just put the lid on my crockpot and continued heating until the mixture loosened up and then used the stick blender again to fully emulsify all of the ingredients

Did you use powder or infused oil? I guess I'll have to try and powder my resin and use it that way. I did end up having to HP mine, it turned solid but started weeping caustic water.
It never did get loose enough to SB again but it was fully mixed before it seized. There is a slight pungent scent to the bars but you can't tell its F & M, maybe it would have worked better as SF in HP.

I used powder and melted it with stearic acid in the microwave. As I recall, it was a bear to melt.

Yeah, the F & M resin doesn't really melt in oil. Thats why I eventually dumped in the vodka to try and dissolve it, worked pretty good but was time consuming and messy.
Did you notice if the rosin added anything to your dupe?

I inadvertently made this soleseife. I used more then normal salt for hardness but completely spaced out the fact I only made a 1lb batch:rolleyes: Not sure if this added to the seize as its not super salty but the bars are definitely saltier tasting then normal.

Surprisingly, the lather is really nice considering the bubble number is pretty low and I use palm kernel instead of coconut.

You might try this method of infusing oils with resin instead of using alcohol.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLzOa1mM9tw[/ame]

Back