Using really old oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My mom calls and tells me she has two pounds of mango butter and some apricot oil that is getting old and needs to be used up, do I want it for soap? Of course I got get it only to discover its best buy date was 2015.
One lb of mango and the apricot oil was rancid but the other lb of mango smells ok, maybe a little stale but not bad at all. Would you all use this? I hate throwing it away. If it ends up with dos, I could just chuck it, if not then I'll share with mom;)

My mom calls and tells me she has two pounds of mango butter and some apricot oil that is getting old and needs to be used up, do I want it for soap? Of course I got get it only to discover its best buy date was 2015.
One lb of mango and the apricot oil was rancid but the other lb of mango smells ok, maybe a little stale but not bad at all. Would you all use this? I hate throwing it away. If it ends up with dos, I could just chuck it, if not then I'll share with mom;)
If it were me and for personal use, yeah, I'd soap it. Like you said, if it ends up with DOS or going rancid you can always chuck it.

If it were me and for personal use, yeah, I'd soap it. Like you said, if it ends up with DOS or going rancid you can always chuck it.

Awseome, thats what I was hoping to hear. I had also gotten some cocoa and tacuma from mom about a month ago that I soaped with. I never checked the date but I bet it was from the same time frame, so far its fine

After all, it's likely to go rancid soon,
not necessarily. I have soaped with incredibly old oils (like 8 year old oils) that smelled fine, and once soaped never got DOS nor became rancid. Of course they were only for personal use, but I let them sit around for at least a year before using. They were perfectly fine, however, I would have never given/sold these bars regardless.

So, old mango traces really fast, especially when used at 80%
These are some of the lumpiest, void filled bars I've made in a long time lol.

Attachments

• 7586.jpg
    7586.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 20
I have used Apricot Kernel and Cherry Kernel Oil that were at least 10 yrs old a destash and they were fine. I was not really sure of the age but I was going from the old discontinued label from Soapers Choice, that was before I started soaping. So they were really old oils. Yes, I was quite irritated as we had driven 400+ miles to the women's house that was destashing products.

It somehow still looks super luxurious and I absolutely need to learn more about mango butter.
I've never used it in soap before. I did rub some on my hands to see if it made them smell (it didn't) and it reminded me of shea but not quite so greasy.
Its a soft butter, light in color and normally odorless. I think I need to get some for body butter

I have used Apricot Kernel and Cherry Kernel Oil that were at least 10 yrs old a destash and they were fine. I was not really sure of the age but I was going from the old discontinued label from Soapers Choice, that was before I started soaping. So they were really old oils. Yes, I was quite irritated as we had driven 400+ miles to the women's house that was destashing products.

That would have been really frustrating. At least you could still use it. Guess this is why I tend to freeze my butters

Would you all use this? I hate throwing it away. If it ends up with dos, I could just chuck it,
I was going to ask that question when I got back into soaping after 4 years....but I was afraid to because I thought I'd be told "NO WAY" :shakinghead: I didn't want to throw everything out as I had such a lot. So I just used my nose instead of looking at dates. The only ones that had to go were Shea butter 2017, Cocoa butter & Rice Bran.... all the others seem fine, no DOS developing(4 months on).... yet 😊. But as I'm only making for family and friends I'm not worried.
I do have a Sweet Almond that was BB 2017 and that is a bit sus to me but I thought I'd give it a try anyway....included it with some of the "off cocoa butter. I knew when I was at the point of no return that it wasn't going to be any good, but rather than ditch it, I just added some old FO's that I had to try and cover up the smell. Guess who said that was his favourite soap !! A friend also said she loved that one. The smell still churns my stomach... probably because I know.....!
I also have a litre of Neem oil which I can't tell by the smell.... so I gave it to DH to use as a garden spray... at the dilution it is used it should keep him going about 25 years :)

I have old walnut and grape seed oils. They do not smell best. I guess, I should make something. My husband is using a lot of bars.

I have old walnut and grape seed oils. They do not smell best. I guess, I should make something. My husband is using a lot of bars.

I wouldn't use old grapeseed oil. It has a really short shelf life to begin with. I've never used Walnut but I'd be suspicious with that one too. I used grapeseed oil once a long time ago at 15% and got DOS in 4 months.

I've never used it in soap before. I did rub some on my hands to see if it made them smell (it didn't) and it reminded me of shea but not quite so greasy.
Its a soft butter, light in color and normally odorless. I think I need to get some for body butter

That would have been really frustrating. At least you could still use it. Guess this is why I tend to freeze my butters
I make a body butter with mango butter in it for my customers who like a drier, less greasy feeling body butter. It does a good job on their skin. I have never been able to whip it though, all is does is make a mess and never gets light and fluffy. So mine turns out like a lotion bar in a jar.

Back