Using Rancid Goose Fat in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellonFriend

Reaction score
Hello all! I am asking this question for a friend. She has about a quart of rendered goose fat that she found in her freezer that has gone rancid. She's wondering if it would be okay to use for soap making if she does 0% superfat as she read somewhere that it was okay to. I recommended adding citric acid too as a preservative. My friend is also wondering how she should incorporate the fat into a recipe.

I came up with this:
Goose Fat 45%
Lard 30%
Coconut Oil 20% (Yes, I know that's high for some people)
Castor Oil 5%

0% Superfat
33% Lye concentration
Citric acid at 3% of oils

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!

Looks okay to me but I would skip the lard and use all goose fat.

I would also use the Search feature located in the upper right corner of this page to read threads about using "rancid oils". It has been discussed many times before.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 12.07.54 PM.png

Last edited:

I would also use the Search feature located in the upper right corner of this page to read threads about using "rancid oils". It has been discussed many times before.

View attachment 68004
That’s a lot of geese I think. The geese I’ve seen may have an ounce or two rendered fat each.👍

That’s a lot of geese I think. The geese I’ve seen may have an ounce or two rendered fat each.👍
I just came onto the site to look for references to goose fat; my sweetie just came back from hunting geese, and he brought a bunch of goose fat for me to use in soap! That dear man even rendered the fat for me 🥰🥰. Most of the geese (snows and a few Canadas) had a LOT of fat after a summer of eating everything in sight, way up north.
I’m going to make a batch this afternoon; nice to have such a beautiful fresh ingredient for my soap.

View attachment 68004
@Zany_in_CO I was going in a different direction with my recipe, but think I will follow your advice and up the percentage of goose fat! I have about 10 litres of it so what the heck… Thanks for the recipe!

Back