Using PVC as a soap mold

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

bonnyny

Reaction score
I did the same as Shirley, and sawed the 3" diameter pvc in half, making it 12" high. Each one will make eight 1 .25" - 1.50" slices. Many people have commented that they like how the round shape fits and feels in their hand.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
When I first started soaping in '04 all the soapers were using pvc piping. I'm surprised there are soapers who still use it. It's such a headache. I tried it once because I was new at soaping and experienced soapers suggested it. But it only took one attempt to make me hate it. There are better and and more versatile options.
Could you discuss those "better and more versatile options" that you've discovered?

Belindasuds

Reaction score
I still line my PVC pipe with freezer paper. I like to think the freezer paper protects the soap per se. A dab of Vaseline on the pipe holds the paper pretty good too. The caps seal them nicely on the bottom with saran wrap inside as well. I love my round Soaps!
I second this!
I use the same approach as Noreen, especially if I'm not heating to force gel.
If I am heating my soaps to force gel though, I usually skip lining the mold as I find that when I gel soap it releases easily. Discovered this when I accidentally forgot to line the mold and was both relieved and pleasantly surprised when it came out easily.

Pringle cans are great for single use. I like that I can cut them in half to use for smaller test batches. The lids work well as end caps to prevent spillage, but I always place the mold in a bowl before pouring just to be on the safe side.

CatahoulaBubble

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good liner to use with PVC is a food grade plastic cutting board. One of the flexible ones. You can cut it to fit inside the mold perfectly where it caps but you can leave the top longer so that you can push out the soap by removing the cap and putting that end up while using a counter or table to push the plastic liner through the pipe enough for you to get a grip on it and then pull it out the rest of the way. Then the cutting board plastic just peels off.

GGMA0317

Reaction score
:nodding:
Plastic Mailing Tubes.
The ones I use are measured at 18X3 and 18X2. However, they can be purchased at a longer length.

The best way to use them is to simply cap the bottom only and use the 18 inch freezer paper that is naturally coiled and fit perfectly inside. I've NEVER had a problem removing the soap as it pushes straight through. Ok, once there was a little bit of soap that rose slightly up the middle but it wasn't a big issue.

I make braces with sturdy cardboard boxes. I measure the round holes and cut out circles in the box and I place it on the floor and put my prepared molds in the box and pour my soap. I've also braced them in a sink.

I got my tubes from Uline.
I was determined to have round soap so I searched every possible option. The 2 inch rounds are so perfect for guests and gifts. You can even swirl a bit. I don't work with colors anymore. But years ago I did and was able to swirl in the tube.

Also, I probably don't have to say THIS- Do Not Cap The Top Of
The Tube! Be sure to put your tube wherever its going to stay after filling. You do not want to carry these filled with raw soap.

Ok. Now go yea therefore a tell everyone to toss out those horrid pipes!
HAPPY EASTER AND HAPPY EASY ROUND SOAP MAKING!😁😁😁😁😁

:nodding:
Plastic Mailing Tubes.
The ones I use are measured at 18X3 and 18X2. However, they can be purchased at a longer length.

The best way to use them is to simply cap the bottom only and use the 18 inch freezer paper that is naturally coiled and fit perfectly inside. I've NEVER had a problem removing the soap as it pushes straight through. Ok, once there was a little bit of soap that rose slightly up the middle but it wasn't a big issue.

I make braces with sturdy cardboard boxes. I measure the round holes and cut out circles in the box and I place it on the floor and put my prepared molds in the box and pour my soap. I've also braced them in a sink.

I got my tubes from Uline.
I was determined to have round soap so I searched every possible option. The 2 inch rounds are so perfect for guests and gifts. You can even swirl a bit. I don't work with colors anymore. But years ago I did and was able to swirl in the tube.

Also, I probably don't have to say THIS- Do Not Cap The Top Of
The Tube! Be sure to put your tube wherever its going to stay after filling. You do not want to carry these filled with raw soap.

Ok. Now go yea therefore a tell everyone to toss out those horrid pipes!
HAPPY EASTER AND HAPPY EASY ROUND SOAP MAKING!😁😁😁
😁😁
Excuse my horrible photos and this soap is 2 years old castle oatmeal and gm.

Attachments

Latest posts