Using Puree's and Juices in CP soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have not yet made CP soap, however I know of a very, very successful soap maker who uses real purees and juice's in his soaps. From all the research I have done about this, everything and everyone I've seen has said this is a huge no, no. Also, he does not use any preservatives. Can someone tell me how this is possible??:Kitten Love:

If the purée is very fine ( or juice) and it is mixed very well into the soap batter. By very well I mean that it is mixed so there are no lumps or clumps whatsoever, then the soap will preserve itself. There is a fine line between just enough and too much that can not be crossed without problems.

The reason it is self preserving is because of the high PH of soap and the fact that very few bacteria and or mold can grow in such an environment.

That being said I would use a preservative if it were me. Like I said the line between enough and too much is too thin for my comfort if I am exposing the general public to the product.

I use a blender to puree cucumber, lettuce, spinach for one of my soaps for water replacement. Never had the soap go bad. I also regularly make carrot puree, pumpkin puree, avocado (my favorite), mango puree and banana with no problems. It is hard to beat a nice avocado soap. Most preservatives we use are not effective in such a high ph. At least that is what I found when I emailed several of the suppliers about an effective preservative in ls. Maybe this has changed in the last year and if so I would like to know which preservative is effective. Not for bar soap but for ls

Thank for the input everyone!!
As far as that preservative goes, his whole thing is he doesn't use anything unnatural in his soaps. I just always read using fresh fruits and veggies is a bad idea in soap, especially if you're selling them which he is. "Even if it looks like its ok, you don't really know it hasn't spoiled unless you get it lab tested." Thats what I read many people say.

I did papaya and red sweet bell pepper purée it still curing

I made soap with plum and celery puree and celery puree and I kept some bars for over a year. I didn't have any DOS or any unpleasant odor. I am not eager to use any more natural additives as much as I read that they spoil the soap.

Last edited:
Thank for the input everyone!!
As far as that preservative goes, his whole thing is he doesn't use anything unnatural in his soaps. I just always read using fresh fruits and veggies is a bad idea in soap, especially if you're selling them which he is. "Even if it looks like its ok, you don't really know it hasn't spoiled unless you get it lab tested." Thats what I read many people say.

So what is the worry that it might went bad if it looks and smells ok? Why would it need lab tested?

This is a serious question, not trying to be pesty.
I mean we are not going to eat the soap LOL
Soap is what we use to clean dirty old nasty dishes etc... with. So if Carrots were to rot in our favorite bowl in the fridge, what do we do? We wash that bowl with soap.
If we get those rotten carrots on our hands, we wash with soap.
If we spill the rotten carrots on our clothes, we wash them with soap.
Etc.. etc..
So my thought is if the soap does not look or smell bad I see no reason to fear it, it's the same soap I'd use to wash away food that did spoil, but I could be wrong which is why I am asking what the worry is?

Actually I had not thought of using juice or pulp in my soap, I will have to study on that now! I do have a fancy juicer that makes great juice and very fine pulp, like mush! I bought it at GoodWill for $5 and when I looked it up I found it's a $100+ machine! Only reason I bought it was it was $5, but now that I have it I use it allot as I do like juices at times. I make allot of carrot juice now so end up with carrot pulp, can only use so much pulp though in my cooking, but it is a nice filler and lots of fiber.
Going to make some Carrot pasta, see what happens, using my $5 or $10 thrift store Pasta Maker.
I guess I can make Carrot soap to match the pasta. LOL

So what is the worry that it might went bad if it looks and smells ok? Why would it need lab tested?

This is a serious question, not trying to be pesty.
I mean we are not going to eat the soap LOL
Soap is what we use to clean dirty old nasty dishes etc... with. So if Carrots were to rot in our favorite bowl in the fridge, what do we do? We wash that bowl with soap.
If we get those rotten carrots on our hands, we wash with soap.
If we spill the rotten carrots on our clothes, we wash them with soap.
Etc.. etc..
So my thought is if the soap does not look or smell bad I see no reason to fear it, it's the same soap I'd use to wash away food that did spoil, but I could be wrong which is why I am asking what the worry is?

Actually I had not thought of using juice or pulp in my soap, I will have to study on that now! I do have a fancy juicer that makes great juice and very fine pulp, like mush! I bought it at GoodWill for $5 and when I looked it up I found it's a $100+ machine! Only reason I bought it was it was $5, but now that I have it I use it allot as I do like juices at times. I make allot of carrot juice now so end up with carrot pulp, can only use so much pulp though in my cooking, but it is a nice filler and lots of fiber.
Going to make some Carrot pasta, see what happens, using my $5 or $10 thrift store Pasta Maker.
I guess I can make Carrot soap to match the pasta. LOL

i dont know what the worry is!! haha, I was just curious since I've seen so many people SO against it. I am intrigued since everyone here seems to feel the complete opposite about it! (which is good)
I have powders that I am experimenting with incorporating into my soaps and im very excited to see how they turn out!

Fruits and veggies are bad ideas in liquid soap, whether CP or HP. There is a long history of people putting fruits and veggies in bar soap, though. There is a practical upper limit of how much, though. Someone else will have to tell you how much, though.

Latest posts

Back