Using pure olive oil w/EO on aging face?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy90292

Reaction score
Hi there - I've got "aging skin" since I'm post-menopause, age 56. I saw a YouTube video with some Russian woman (completely unrelated to soaping!) who said to use "a little olive oil with some drops of essential oil in it" as a face moisturizer. Well, she was probably in her mid-40s when she did that old video, and I'm guessing...she may have changed her mind.

I suspect olive oil would make me break out like a teen (tried it for 2 months as a mascara remover - it worked, but I still have eyelid bumps and it's been 1.5 years!) I am convinced that straight EO would be disastrous. BUT I'm wondering...do any of you use "her" recipe? Is that OK? Does it really do anything good for aging skin, like really moisturize? I'm hesitant to go full Oil of Olay chemical massacre, but this option seems a bit too...I dunno...???

Hi there - I've got "aging skin" since I'm post-menopause, age 56. I saw a YouTube video with some Russian woman (completely unrelated to soaping!) who said to use "a little olive oil with some drops of essential oil in it" as a face moisturizer. Well, she was probably in her mid-40s when she did that old video, and I'm guessing...she may have changed her mind.

I suspect olive oil would make me break out like a teen (tried it for 2 months as a mascara remover - it worked, but I still have eyelid bumps and it's been 1.5 years!) I am convinced that straight EO would be disastrous. BUT I'm wondering...do any of you use "her" recipe? Is that OK? Does it really do anything good for aging skin, like really moisturize? I'm hesitant to go full Oil of Olay chemical massacre, but this option seems a bit too...I dunno...???
I've heard that rosehip seed oil and myrrh essential oil is a
Fabulous mixture for aging skin. I've tried it, but not for long enough to give a definite answer, but for the time I used it, I did see results on my large forehead wrinkle (which is crazy since I only used it 1 or 2 times a day for 1 week). My wrinkle started to fade. I had to stop using it because I got pregnant (I've been told thats not good for pregnancy nor baby). Just haven't picked it up again.

@Wendy90292 Am I correct in assuming that your pre-menopausal skin was oily, maybe even very oil when you were much younger but now only moderately oily as your skin gets drier with age?

Not an expert and wonder whether skin type has anything to do with how you experience different oils. I wonder if it is misleading how advertising extols one oil as "the best" when they should be qualifying their suggestion re skin types & conditions. Example: Oil x is great for this skin type but not that one.

My skin has always been dry. Never experienced acne or regular pimple issues EVER! It's getting slightly drier as I age. My face absorbs EVOO with no negative side effect when I apply it on wet, even dripping wet skin. Feels divine! My joy is even greater when I shake and spray my concoction of oil (EVOO & vit E), glycerin and rose water. (See image). When I still had access to Ascorbic acid (ie vit C), I mixed some in also in small batches. Happy for thoughts and other ideas. Have been thinking about CoQ10 as another great antioxidant but can't access that either. ☹

My guess is that base oils richer in linoleic acid like grapeseed might suit you better. Perhaps your skin will also respond favourably to jojoba oil, which is great for oily skin.
IMG_20210126_083944.jpg

Since sunflower oil is so light, emollient ... and cheap in my location, I apply it with cotton over dry skin to remove makeup and dirt before following up with a very soft soap. Never had a problem, even around the eyes. I wonder whether the problem you described re oil bumps around your eyes was due to the heaviness of the olive oil.

Last edited:
Olive oil is really heavy, I wouldn't want it on my face but there are some oils I do like.

I was using avocado with lime EO for awhile before switching to argan.
Argan absorbs really quickly and didn't irritate my skin. I've recently switched to jojoba and love it.

Lime is still my favorite to use on my face. Its supposed to be good for you skin, idk if it is but I like the smell. Only use citrus EOs at night, they can cause photosensitivity in the sun.

I have tried rosehip and Argan oil (individually) directly on my skin but not olive oil. I had an OO makeup remover bottle someone sold to me before I made soap.
I was reading recently about squalane though (I make a lotion with an olive oil butter that has gone through the squalane process) because my sister says that it has been helpful for her facial skin), squalane is not the main oil in that lotion though. However, people rave about squalane oil online, there is a sugar cane derived, an olive oil one, and the original from sharks.

Wendy, I am a few years older than you are, and I have dry mature skin that is prone to breakouts. Yes, pimples AND wrinkles together! 😭 I just react horribly to all hair products, but have dry curly hair that is prone to frizz. So, I bounce between using no hair products and having a clear face but frizzy hair; to using hair products for nice hair and living with a broken-out face. Sunscreen is another culprit for me; I've bought the most expensive stuff there is, but it still breaks me out. But I digress.

I've tried the oil cleansing method with a variety of oils: OO, AO, SAO, CO. They all broke me out horribly. It wasn't a detox reaction, either - it lasted for over two weeks and was only getting worse each day. It immediately stopped and cleared up when I stopped oil cleansing.

Now I generally use honey and warm water to clean my face, and my face loves this! My toner is a mix of ACV with rose hydrosol. This is followed by a homemade hyaluronic acid serum, then homemade oil-based moisturizer. The current blend is argan oil, meadowfoam seed oil, jojoba oil, rosehip oil, carrot seed EO, and a rotation of other EOs so my skin doesn't become sensitized to them: myrrh, frankincense, lavender, chamomile, evening primrose, etc.

The carrot seed EO was a game changer for me; it really evens out my skin tone and moisturizes without being comedogenic. I put a few drops of this mix on one fingertip, spread it to the other fingertips, and gently tap/pat it on my face. I can't say that I've been 100% breakout free since age 12 or so, but my skin is doing much, much better than it was even this past summer and fall.

I have olive skin but find olive oil too heavy. As you get older you need to look at whether your skin needs more oil or “water”. Hydrated skin helps absorb more oils into it.

I use jojoba oil with essential oils, and I usually change the mix every time I make a new batch. I use rose hydrosol as my cleanser and toner, then apply the jojoba/essential oil mix. I use a 30ml dropper bottle for the jojoba mix you only need a couple of drops to the face so it’s very economical. The main oils I tend to use on the face are German chamomile CO2, frankincense Co2, Australian Sandalwood, helichrysum and fragonia. Typically all these oils are expensive but you can buy small amounts or get some testers. I think of these oils, including the jojoba as “top shelf” but their therapeutic qualities are worth it. There’s a reason most of these ingredients are added to expensive serums 😉

@Aromasuzie we like a lot of the same expensive things. :rolling:

Quality rather than quantity 😉 I have carrot seed oil but never really noticed a difference When using it. I love mixing honey with clays, sometimes even lemon juice. I’m lucky to have non sensitive skin and 😍 rose hydrosol, that wonderful rose aroma without the price tag!

Olive oil is really heavy, I wouldn't want it on my face but there are some oils I do like.

I was using avocado with lime EO for awhile before switching to argan.
Argan absorbs really quickly and didn't irritate my skin. I've recently switched to jojoba and love it.

Lime is still my favorite to use on my face. Its supposed to be good for you skin, idk if it is but I like the smell. Only use citrus EOs at night, they can cause photosensitivity in the sun.
[/QUOTE

Have you tried steam distilled lime? Gorgeous sweet fragrance and as it’s steam distilled, you dont need to worry about photosensitivity.

Wendy, I am a few years older than you are, and I have dry mature skin that is prone to breakouts. Yes, pimples AND wrinkles together! 😭 I just react horribly to all hair products, but have dry curly hair that is prone to frizz. So, I bounce between using no hair products and having a clear face but frizzy hair; to using hair products for nice hair and living with a broken-out face. Sunscreen is another culprit for me; I've bought the most expensive stuff there is, but it still breaks me out. But I digress.

I've tried the oil cleansing method with a variety of oils: OO, AO, SAO, CO. They all broke me out horribly. It wasn't a detox reaction, either - it lasted for over two weeks and was only getting worse each day. It immediately stopped and cleared up when I stopped oil cleansing.

Now I generally use honey and warm water to clean my face, and my face loves this! My toner is a mix of ACV with rose hydrosol. This is followed by a homemade hyaluronic acid serum, then homemade oil-based moisturizer. The current blend is argan oil, meadowfoam seed oil, jojoba oil, rosehip oil, carrot seed EO, and a rotation of other EOs so my skin doesn't become sensitized to them: myrrh, frankincense, lavender, chamomile, evening primrose, etc.

The carrot seed EO was a game changer for me; it really evens out my skin tone and moisturizes without being comedogenic. I put a few drops of this mix on one fingertip, spread it to the other fingertips, and gently tap/pat it on my face. I can't say that I've been 100% breakout free since age 12 or so, but my skin is doing much, much better than it was even this past summer and fall.
I think I'm probably older than you, but I still get breakouts as well. I stay away from oils since they only seem to clog my pores and I get more pimples. I use a cleanser (recipe from humblebeeandme.com) that is very mild and I use a scrubby washcloth since I absolutely have to exfoliate often. I also have very curly (tends to frizz) Irish hair that may or may not have been red at one time or another (I've been coloring my hair since age 16, and now I highlight as well) - and the green eyes to go with it. I use a shampoo and conditioner bar (recipes from SwiftCraftyMonkey, I have her ebook) and my hair and skin are both the best they have been since about age 11.

Back