Using only lemongrass essential oil

Discussion in 'Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils' started by Zing, May 14, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 14, 2018 #1

Zing

Zing

Zing

Has anyone successfully scented soap with only lemongrass essential oil? A Google search is worrying me about allergic reactions. I recently made soap with cinnamon essential oil and developed just a terrible allergic skin reaction and I don't want to repeat that experience. Thanks!

2. May 14, 2018 #2

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

I have with no issues. It's easy to work with and sticks.

3. May 14, 2018 #3

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

It's pretty much ideal - it's reasonably priced, well behaved and it sticks well. Where did you get your cinnamon essential oil? Is it possible that it was cinnamon oil (meaning a cinnamon scented synthetic product) and not EO? Obviously it's possible to have a reaction to EO, but I just want to make sure that you aren't something like a scented oil intended to fragrance a room, that is not skin safe. We've had a few people try soaping with room fragranceing products they picked up at Dollar tree which are not skin safe!

4. May 14, 2018 #4

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

Supporting Member

Cinnamon essential oil, whether from bark, leaf or bud, is a known strong skin irritant and sensitizer. Leaf should be used at or under 1% of the product. Bark or bud should be used at 0.1% or less in the product. Cinnamon EOs should not be used at all on children or people in poor health or people taking blood thinners.

Lemongrass EO can be a mild sensitizer, but most people generally use it without problems. I'd say it's a much better choice than cinnamon EO. Moderation, however, is the key.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. May 14, 2018 #5

Zing

Zing

Zing

It was a cinnamon essential oil purchased at Whole Foods.

6. May 14, 2018 #6

seaberry

seaberry

seaberry

Lemongrass is my favorite essential oil, I’ve yet to cold process with it but I use it in my personal body wash m, melt and pour, and in my diffusers. I’ve not had any issues

7. May 14, 2018 #7

JuliaNegusuk

JuliaNegusuk

JuliaNegusuk

I use lemongrass eo and it is fine -relatively cheap, pongy enough to use at lower quantities and has good staying power. As Deana says, cinamon oil is tricky. Cinamon leaf oil is allowed in soap in the EU rules at 1% or less, but I have a cinamon oil soap and 1% is plenty strong enough to get a good aroma. Bark oil should not be used, and personally I would be cautious about using ground bark in soap, though I know some people do.

8. May 14, 2018 #8

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I like Litsea over Lemongrass since I really cannot get lemongrass to stick for a long time. I found a great Lemongrass FO that holds wonderfully. It is less green than Lemongrass but I like the sharper Lemon scent from the fo. Cinnamon will also trace you soap very quickly and as mentioned has to be in very low percentage. I never go over 1% with cinnamon

9. May 14, 2018 #9

gloopygloop

gloopygloop

gloopygloop

Have used Lemongrass a lot and love it, have used it neat with nothing else and found it sticks fine, used at 3% in the past without any problem that was my original SA but now I think it would be 2% and I would use it at that but I do HP which might make a difference. If I were to mix I would be tempted to woods a little with Cedar wood but I am a bloke so the gals might not like that so much. I would give the cinnamon a miss.

10. May 14, 2018 #10

Zing

Zing

Zing

Yeah, I like to add a bit of Cedarwood to everything but my wife doesn't like it.

11. May 14, 2018 #11

Zing

Zing

Zing

Thanks, all, for the opinions and advice! I appreciate it!

12. May 14, 2018 #12

homesteaders

homesteaders

homesteaders

I've used it alone, but I usually mix it with Litsea. To me, the Litsea sort of smooths out the lemongrass -- kind of like the difference between the scent of fresh lemons vs the scent of lemon chiffon pie. I also like it with patchouli. Never any skin problems or complaints from friends or family.

13. May 15, 2018 #13

Zing

Zing

Zing

This is intriguing. Do you do a ratio of 1:1 with litsea and lemongrass?

14. May 15, 2018 #14

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

In my opinion Litsea helps the Lemongrass a lot. Litsea will stick, I find Lemongrass fades in 6 months and yes a 50/50 mix works fine. To my nose Lemongrass is to green I like the sharp lemony of Litsea

amd likes this.
  15. May 15, 2018 #15

KristaY

KristaY

KristaY

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've had 2 people react to lemongrass, both were totally unaware they had any issue with it. My sister and a friend's 16 y/o daughter developed a mad itch with light redness of the skin. When they washed the lemongrass soap off with other soap, the itching and discoloration immediately subsided. On the other hand, my SIL is crazy about lemongrass and uses it in soap, lotion and diffusers without any problems. So when someone wants lemongrass soap I always tell them to wash their hands first before taking it to the shower. If a sensitivity occurs, it's easier to wash off the hands than getting back in the shower to re-wash the whole body.

16. May 15, 2018 #16

homesteaders

homesteaders

homesteaders

Yes, I use them 1:1

Interesting how different people interpret or register different scents. To you litsea is sharp, but to me it is smooth. When I make pine tar soap, that's all I can smell in the house for a couple of weeks, no matter what else I make, but my husband, who usually has a very keen sense of smell, can barely smell pine tar, even when it's right under his nose.

17. May 15, 2018 #17

KayeNurmi

KayeNurmi

KayeNurmi

I make HP soaps and shampoo bars. Seems that the favorite ones are always the lemongrass. Easy to use. Love it.