Using my soap to make laundry detergent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessMommy

Reaction score
I visited someone here's soaping blog that talked about this and now I can't find it again!! :oops: (yes, I checked "history" but it seems my computer deleted out my cookies).

Anyway, I've been doing research on making my own laundry detergent. The first places I found recommended laundry soap (like Zotes). But since then I've seen people using regular store bought soap like Ivory or Pure and Natural.

I'm wondering if anyone has made their own laundry soap from their own soaping creations?

Here's a link to one instruction I found:
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/ ... ual-guide/

I have. I use 30% coconut 70% lard and it's only 2% lye discounted. I add orange eo.

I grate it up, add some washing soda & borax. I eyeball it, but I think it's about 2 cups grated soap to 1/2 cup each of washing soda & borax. I add water & stir alot, or the washing soda becomes a giant rock in the water. It gets to be a jelly like consistency this way and the soap dissolves if I let it sit in the water for a while.

I also use vinegar with orange eo in it to add to the rinse cycle to keep my clothes from getting dingy and the washing machine from getting gummed up.

my laundry liquid

This is the recipe I have been using. It makes your clothes really soft. The difference is very noticable.

50g grated soap (use any one of your plain CP soaps)
5 litres hot water
110g washing soda
1.5 teaspoons eucalyptus oil (not eo but the 20% dilution one you buy in the medical section of your supermarket)
125ml vinegar
few drops of lavender oil (same thing - medical section)

Put soap and 1 litre of the hot water in saucepan on stove and heat and stir till dissolved, add washing soda. Switch off stove and add eucalyptus oil, vinegar and lavender oil. When it cools off a bit, pour half each into 2 cleaned 2.5 to 3 litre containers and fill with remaining hot water. Leave to cool completely before putting lids on.
Use about 1 cup to a medium load of washing.

Instead of softener, stop the machine when rinse water is in, pour in 1/2 cup of vinegar, a couple of drops of one of the above oils and let it soak for a while before finishing load. I do my washing at night, and leave to soak on the rinse cycle overnight.

A bit of extra time to put a wash through I know, but it is costing me about a dollar a month to wash the clothes of 2 adults! And the above recipe takes very little time to make. I love it. I will never buy those itchy smelly expensive detergents again!

Please excuse the litres, not ounces, I am an Aussie.

Enjoy the savings and the softness!!!!! :p

Karen

Oh baby! That's how I started making soap!

My first soaps, years ago, were simple and unscented. I learned to make soap precisely for making my own laundry detergent. I still use it, sometimes. Mostly for very delicate things like antique linens and my sheets.

I used my crockpot, melted one bar of soap - 4-5 oz in about 2 quarts of water. Usually I tossed the soap in and let it sit overnight. In the morning I would have a nice soup of melted soap. Add 1 cup of washing soda and 1 cup of borax. Stir gently or you will have major bubbles! The mix will thicken right up. Then my secret ingredient. I pulverized digestive enzymes with a mortar and pestle and added them to my concoction. Crockpot on low for about an hour. My early attempts included adding soy lecithin from the health food store as an emulsifier. (remember, this was a log time ago, and I knew NOTHING about emulsification) That said, there was no reason to use any emulsifier, I just shook the bottle.

Add about 2 tbsp to the wash water, this seems like very little - but it was all I ever needed. Then add a cup of vinegar to the rinse.

I still have a few friends who bring me their empty containers so I can make them my special laundry soap. They have no idea how easy it really is.

Deda said:
Then my secret ingredient. I pulverized digestive enzymes with a mortar and pestle and added them to my concoction. Crockpot on low for about an hour.

I see that it is a secret (shhh.....I will not tell :D ), but can you elaborate a bit on this? Is this an ingredient purchased locally or a specialty thing?

Digit

Oh wow! This has got me very excited (yes, I have no life).

From what everyone has written here, what I need is a simple, coconut/tallow recipe. Right?

kassa - you have vinegar in your recipe. Is that in addition to what you add to the rinse cycle.

ydpubs - I don't understand about the 2% lye discount. I'm still trying to grasp all the ins and outs those details. You also said something about the machine gumming up :shock: Is this a normal problem with homemade detergent?

Deda, I'd like to know what the enzymes do too.

oops, I see now that you guys recommend lard not tallow. Is there a noticeable difference?

Basically - Enzymes break down protein. Most commercial laundry detergents contain some form of enzyme.

I did tons of research on the subject, which unfortunately I have forgotten most of (no surprise there). I do remember that there are many kinds of enzymes, some are helpful in laundry detergent, some inert. The enzymes I purchased had enough of what I was looking for to do the job.

If you want I will look through my journals from then and see if I can find more details.

THat's how I started making soap also. It started with me wanting to make laundry soap, first grinding up fels-naptha, then graduating onto making up the bars myself.

Forgive me, but what the heck are digestive enzymes? They sound like bodily fluids. :roll:

Natalie said:
Forgive me, but what the heck are digestive enzymes? They sound like bodily fluids. :roll:

Nope, they are a supplement you can buy in the health food store. I didn't have access to purchase from chemical companies and had no idea that there were/are chemistry stores online. So I improvised, using readily available and inexpensive digestive enzymes.

Think - Beano on steroids.

If you choose to use enzymes in laundry detergent (grass, blood, sweat and food stains) then make sure you use something that contains these particular enzymes; Proteases, Lipases, Amylases and Cellulases.

Whatever you buy at the health food store will undoubtedly have lots more, but it will all be inert in detergent. Posing no harm to your clothes or the ground water.

I am wanting to try making my own laundry detergent also, but we have horribly hard well water. I have tried using "enviro" detergents from the store and they have left soap scum in my machine and on my clothes, even when I use a white vinegar rinse.

We do have a water softener, but it seems like our water is still hard and causes soap scum when using veg based laundry detergents. If I made a 100% lard soap would there be no scum????

I'd love to hear any experiences people have with hard well water and home made laundry soaps!!!

thanks!

vinegar

To Princessmommy

Yes, thats completely separate to the vinegar in the recipe. The softener has nothing to do with the main recipe which IS the laundry liquid.

Hope this helps you understand the recipe. It is brilliant. I think it is costing me about a dollar to make up enough for 2 months use. I need to save where I can.

I don't know if it would be any good on soiled clothes. We don't get dirty enough :p

Kazza

PrincessMommy said:
I visited someone here's soaping blog that talked about this and now I can't find it again!! :oops:

Is this the blog? http://blog.knoxfarms.com/?p=28

Deda said:
Think - Beano on steroids.
............. Proteases, Lipases, Amylases and Cellulases.

Super Beano and all the "ases"..........I am too easily amused. :lol: :lol: :lol: 'Nuf said.

I have been toying with this idea but not moved on it yet. Here are some links I have:
http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap2.htm
http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/article ... gent.shtml
http://sfsoaps.com/supplies/recipes.php
http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/24.htm

I have more, but they all are basically the same. :D

Digit[/quote]

knox farms

Hey, great website - knoxfarms.....

that recipe would probably work well too. Washing soda is alkaline (caustic) and is balanced out in my recipe with the vinegar. Thats what the big difference is - it is balanced and doesn't make you itch like commercial laundry products. Well, it works for me. I hope you will give it a try, I love it.

A friend is about to go off travelling by caravan, and she is going to make some, reducing the water, so it is a thick gel. She can just cut off a bit, add hot water and use as needed.....coool...... 8)

Homemade laundry detergent:
Laundry Soap (Gel)

Bar of soap, grated ***Great soap: Fels Naptha***
½ cup washing soda
½ cup Borax powder
You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan.
Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts.
Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved.
Remove from heat.
Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket.
Now add your soap mixture and stir.
Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir.
Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel.
You use ½ cup per load.

This recipe = 64 loads

Laundry Powder

All measures by weight.
1 pound, very dry, grated cold process soap ***Great soap: Fels Naptha***
8 oz. washing soda
8 oz. borax
Essential oil - ½ oz (I like Lavender or Orange)

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl with gloved hand.
Add essential oil by sprinkling on top. Mix again and dispense into containers.
For light loads, use 2 tablespoons; for sheets or heavy laundry, use 1/4 cup.

This recipe = 40 light loads or 20 heavy loads

Homemade dishwasher detergent:
Mix and use per dishwasher load:
1 Tablespoon Borax
1 Tablespoon Baking soda

Here are some I make for home. :)

Heavy Duty Laundry Soap from Soap Scraps

1 lb soap scraps
1 lb baking soda
1 lb washing soda
1 lb borax

Mix ingredients and pulverize to fine powder in food processor or blender. I use about 1/2 cup to a load in our top loader. Also makes a really good scouring and all purpose cleaner.

No Shred Laundry Soap

1/2 gallon cold water
2.2 oz lye
1 lb lard
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 gallon hot water

Add lye to cold water in non-reactive container with a tight cover. Stir until dissolved and clear. Melt lard and add remaining ingredients. Stir well.

Stick blend or stir 3 or 4 times a day until set all the way to the bottom. It will eventually form a thick gel that doesn't separate much.....BE PATIENT. It takes a while to saponify, and then "gellify" ;)

Allow to set for a week or so, and then use between 1/2 cup and 1 cup to a load.

I was thinking of making a 40% coconut 60% lard or crisco with borax and fragrance for my laundry soap. Does this sound o.k.?

Back