using moose tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a friend who wants me to make him some moose tallow soap. I looked at soapcalc and it is not listed. I will be using HP to make the soap, I did search here for information and there was nothing relating to calculating a recipe using moose.

Would I use it like lard in a recipe?

I have a friend who wants me to make him some moose tallow soap. I looked at soapcalc and it is not listed. I will be using HP to make the soap, I did search here for information and there was nothing relating to calculating a recipe using moose.

Would I use it like lard in a recipe?
Would it be more similar to deer/elk tallow? I recall coming across some old posts where they've made it. Maybe it's close enough to use in the calc?

Honestly, I don't know much about tallow. Since the largest difference in NaOH SAP values between all the tallows listed on Soap Calc is .006, I believe you will be just fine using the setting for deer tallow.

Yes, it was gamey but it was also 25 years old. I made it just to experiment with.

The deer tallow soap I made was only slightly gamey, I'm sure it would have covered well with a scent.

Make sure you don't over heat you fat while rendering, that helps keep the smell down. I would only wet render wild game.

Latest posts

Back