Using mold dimensions to generate oil amounts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CathyB

Reaction score
I'm using the wonderful SoapmakingFriend calculator to get my recipes nailed down, and my last batch was too big. So I tried using the option to calculate oil volumes by mold dimensions.

It almost doubled the amount of oil I was previously using. From 53.3 oz to 99.96 oz.

1591203715610.png

I originally calculated my oil requirements by using the mold dimensions x .42 per
https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/how-to-resize-a-soap-recipe-for-your-soap-mold-imperial-and-metric/and got 53.2875

Am I entering my figures into SoapmakingFriend incorrectly?

Clearly, I have something entered that shouldn't be there. Thanks so much for verifying the calculator. I did suspect it was user error!

This is what I'm getting now--still really wacky:
1591244994200.png

Last edited:
Can you clear out the numbers both in the "by total size" box and the "oils total" box, and then recalculate? If I start with anything in either of those boxes, the numbers go wonky.

Ok, I just realized that I was running numbers in a blank recipe. When I took one of the existing recipes in my recipe files, and tried to modify it using your mold dimensions, I first got 1439 - but realized that was grams, not oz. When I switched to oz, the number was correct at just under 50. Again, I did have to make sure that the numbers were cleared out of the "by total size" box and the "oils total" box first.

Sorry I can't be of more help, neighbor (I'm in West Bench).

sorry should have payed more attention. these are the dimensions of my new molds. should make 12 1 1/8 bars or 13 1 inch bars. With a bit for samples. 2.5x3.5x14.125x.4=49.7875..... sorry I just hate fighting with software.

stop playing with the pc... Height x Width x Length x .4 = total oils needed..... example 2.5x3.5x10x.4=35 oz.
Yes, it is one simple calculation to get the total oils for the mold size, but then she'd have to take her existing recipe and do a bunch of percentages to figure how much of each oil for that batch size. It is much faster if she can use the scaling function to print the scaled recipe directly from the recipe files, rather than doing all that math by hand. Make sense? :)

Last edited:
Back