Using mica on tops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

three_little_fishes

Reaction score
I have some gold mica on the way and want to use it on the top of a teal bar. I'm reading different ways of doing this. I was thinking of doing what I saw called oil mica swirl.

http://soapandrestless.blogspot.com/2013/01/soap-top-oil-mica-obsession.html

Anyone know how much oil I would mix with the mica? Just enough to make it pour onto the top? I'm so excited about trying this bar! I'm hoping for something of an ocean themed turnout when I'm done with it. :)

You want to add enough that is it a thick pour because it is too thin it won't work that well. Also less is more with this technique. It is a gorgeous finish on the soap...

Have fun with it!

You're actually better off going to Amy Warden's page on this one as she is using it thicker. Some of the best users of this method is Emily of Shieh Design Studio... Let me find her YouTube Channel...

Thank you! Looks like I should get my shipment on Friday so I'll definitely watch the videos today so I know what I'm doing. This will be my first time using an FO, second using any color (did a charcoal swirl the other day if that even counts), and first using micas. Apparently I like to jump into things. :razz: My first very soap had milk and honey in it!

I'm really hoping it turns out like I want. I envision a pretty top with peaks, mica, and maybe even some sugar pearls. Then I realize that I want to do a salt soap and I'm not even sure the peaks (or any kind of pretty top) are possible with that. :shifty: My last salt bar was just a flat bar that I cut with a wavy cutter.

Lindy shared some great videos, all great soapers. I tried a mica swirl based on what Amy Warden did, and my tops turned out very nice. Not exactly on topic, but Emily Shieh recently visited Celine in Ireland, and they did a great video together. Check it out on Celine's channel if you haven't seen it.

I'm part of a group on FB with both those ladies and the teasing and such before was so fun! I really like them both.

Gold Mica on top of soap

Thank you! Looks like I should get my shipment on Friday so I'll definitely watch the videos today so I know what I'm doing. This will be my first time using an FO, second using any color (did a charcoal swirl the other day if that even counts), and first using micas. Apparently I like to jump into things. :razz: My first very soap had milk and honey in it!

I'm really hoping it turns out like I want. I envision a pretty top with peaks, mica, and maybe even some sugar pearls. Then I realize that I want to do a salt soap and I'm not even sure the peaks (or any kind of pretty top) are possible with that. :shifty: My last salt bar was just a flat bar that I cut with a wavy cutter.

I jump into everything just like you do, and want to try it all. If you want a quick and easy Gold mica method, I have just dipped a small dry brush into dry mica and flicked it on top of the soap in the mold before it cures. Dust a little extra on the top of the peaks. It adds a beautiful sparkle to any soap and a little goes a long way. It really adds some bling to plain White soap. This may be something to try when you get to the bottom of your jar. Let us know how it goes, with pictures if you can. :p I may have added some pics of them in the photo section. My soap pics did not make it to this new computer for some reason.

I'm the same way - I want to try it ALL :thumbup: Can't wait to see pics.

Lindy, thank you so much for posting those video links! I learned so much from watching Emily of Shiehdesigns... she's absolutely amazing!

Latest posts

Back